08 May, 2008

Like I haven't noticed

Growing up a white guy in a white neighbourhood, of course i was ignorant off many things. for example, who knew "Arriba" meant "up"?. Adn of course, when people of other races said "Racism!!", it took a long time to realise that, well, maybe they had a point.

I'm not sure if you have felt it, but there IS a lot of racism against Barrack rite now- and has been. Now, although I'm not voting for Barack (or Hilary, or Mccain, or Pol Pot or Hitler or any of that ilk...) I'm not voting for that type because there is an alternative - the glorious Green Party of America. I agree with a lot of the Green program (as do you as well, you just like that they take care of the parameters of the debate), so they get my vote and not President Obama - but not because he's black.

However, I get from many people that it's because he's black -that they are gonna vote McCain in the fall. No, they haven't said it, and I'm not some "Supergoody I'm so above race" person - I'm just a regular American- but boy I can feel it in between the lines. Not so much what they say as ... well, how they say it. Malcom X wrote that he sometimes 'respected' (not sure if that was the word he used) Southern white racists because they didn't try and hide it - but the Northerners did try and hide it.

I know a Nader or Green victory is a hard sell this early in American history - so I'm hoping for Barrack in the fall. It'd be real kool to see a black man (Or a woman) in the House. But I fear that it's all cosmetics.

1 comment:

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

I'd concentrate on him being the only viable candidate with a foreign policy platform that doesn't involve blowing up the world, instead of fearing this is an exercise in equal opportunity employment.