18 May, 2008

The Saviour of the Avion World

Twice this weekend I was able to assist birds in danger. Of the five birds needing my help, one died - but success with the others.

First was a Blue Grey Gnatcatcher. Never have I seen one live before (see our bird in my hand to the left), and luckily this bird also was live. It flew rite into the front window. I heard the WACK and ran out cause I knew - it happens once a year or so. There it was stunned on the lawn. I collected it up, placed it in a box for a bit, and let it chill on the front porch. I was sure it was gonna die - it was closing it's eyes and just still. Went back 20m later, and when I peeked into the box -flap flap flap away.

Second up was todays' European Starlings. I was walking the dog when I came upon a family in the park. Seems that the family had the starlings in their vents and brought the baby birds to let them loose in the park.

I was kinda angry @ them - ya couldn't've waited a fucked fortnite for them to fledge fully, you fucks!?!? There were four of them, but one -the weakling -was on his way out. The other three were healthy and swauking.

Fuck what am I supposed to do?? I gathered up all four and put them to-gether so they would have company. Then I ran home w/ Bolo, turned around and got a wooden box (see foto) to nest them in. When I got back, I saw the mother on the ground, so iw asn't gonna de-park them and bring them back to my house. So I climbed up the tree -very easy, roofers- with all four (weakling still alive @ this point)in the box. Put some paper in there to try to keep them warm and cozy - see my birds in their new temp home in that picture there. See the weakling in back?

Crying birds, I hurried home to get water and ground up peanuts and bread. When I got back - 6-7 minutes later - the mom was there again. In reality, I needent have paid any more att'n to the birds - the key bird was on the scene - but I still wanted to help. Fed the three healthy ones the food, and tried to get the dying one a drink. They were hungry as fucking hell and gulped down the stuff. But when I dropped down from the tree, the Mom (see picture of the box and Mom to the left)returned w/ worms in it's beak. I was ready to just about let go.

Gf and I went to Culvers for dinner, and on the way there I wanted to show her the nest. Again up I clambered, said hello, and then took out the dead baby bird.

They are safe. They probably only have a week or two before they can fly, so they should be fine.

2 comments:

ElPato said...

42 is my favorite number... and the answer to all the questions in the universe. Thatnks

Hilts said...

6 is also a personal favourite. Though not the answer to all q's, it has a nice vibe about it.