13 May, 2008

Gomer

Been off about the story of Gomer recently. Happened upon this Old Testament story - found in the Book of Hosea - somehow and was fascinated not by Hosea but rather by her.

Seems she has a bit of a reputation. Hosea is supposed to mirror the image of the people of Palestine in the Old Testament. In times of need, they sacrificed to an illegal god. But in other times, they are taken back by God and forgiven. In the same way, Gomer is either a prostitute or a very very loose women. She sleeps w/ whoever, but is always taken back by Hosea.

I got into the story because the first I ever heard of it was that Gomer was not a prostitute or a loose women - instead, she was part of a ritual fertility ceremony where she had to give it up to Baal. You know, all decked out i finements and presented to the Kings or whatever. This is what......... again, the idea of a women having to ........ It's hard to explain, but ........ whatever, I'm interested in the story...

I've written on this before. There was a movie I saw about a year ago (I'm sure it was one of the Trilogy series) where the police detective investigating something meets up with a prostitute informer. It's in the morning, and they are in a car on a hill. The detective asked why she is so dressed up @ that time in the morning. She tells him that she is just getting off a job and that she's all in jewels and such because the client likes her all dressed up. She instantly can see that he is .... moved by this.

So, I'm wierd. Good.

Upon first hearing of the story of Gomer, I knew what I wanted. Dressed up and in jewels.

No comments: