01 May, 2008

Quaterfinals !!

I had my worries about playing this Premiership team early on. Well disciplined and from a school with one of the best socccer trads in the city, we had to beat this team to advance. early on, though, it was obvious that I had overworried meself fer this team. We won, and deserved it plenty. Again, coulda been 5-0. So, on the strenght of a 3-0 win (2g from C MF and one I think from L F), we now play early on Saturday against another team with a strong girls tradition -maybe even better than the team we beat today (in girls soccer, though -never boys soccer-I wonder why?). We are now in the quaterfinals in the city. After the game malword reached us that Varsity had tied - we believed that they needed a win to advance. However, maybe results in the other divisions came our way and the varsity adavnced.

So, my girls -what can I say? They were great. There, finally, was R MF playing strong. So timid (she was the one I was really thinking about replacing) she was racing for the ball, cutting people off, and getting great throw ins for the forwards to get to. Sweeper also responded with her best game. She is a big girl who can intimidate the other teams girls, but she also has great knowledge of the game and displays it always. Stopper and C MF - they are the captians for a reason. And the defenders. Such timid little girls when the season began, the three girls I rotate in the two spots are now Fierce Women who know when to go to the ball and when to lay off. Experienced, now, they be. Chiva the goalie - always a drama queen, though a mild one @ that, was worried about home, her knee, and now her back. She played great. I could go on and on about girls you have no clue about, but I will release you- just remembe that I was happy with them.

And now, Saturday. The team we are playing won the J-V Premiership. I know they are that good as well because they played the game before us on the Douglas Park Nike Field. It's not gonna just be rough, it's gonna be ROUGH. But.................... I think we have a chance. I have already devised my first counter measure - since there is a LOT of gringos on the opposite squad, I will instruct the girls to conduct all their business in Spanish, excpet when dealing with me. well, maybe I'll throw in a few Mira Arriba !! or Duero !! or well, the inevitable "goalie goalie goalie!!!" will remain in English.............. i'll have to get the kids to teach me more Spanish.

Good game. The spirit of the girls is running through me now. Into the quaterfinals !

No comments: