09 December, 2007

What ??

This version of this song has kinda been dominating lately. What?? I could get over the stones so quickly?? And to think, when I wrote all that Stones stuff, I wasn't particularly in a Stones mood. Now I am.


So, a litttle more Stones, only less so......


I've got lots of frenz who make music, and a treat is when they play stuff for me they haven't completed yet. They'll sit me in a seat optimised for speakers, three times a chalice or more'd, then: "ready?'d". Always a treat. And the funny thing is, a lot of time as the newsong courses through the music receptors in the ears and synaps and grey matters and the neutrons and back, lots of times I add my own little ideas on how to make the song better. A favourite of my is the tambourine and the hand clap- I'm always puffing them up, maybe 'cause I can actually play those instruments. But dominating every idea when I hear a song and think "Boy, this song would be cooler if...", it's always the introduction of a Keith richards riff. I've probably aid it to each friend @ least once. I have, I'm serious- if you don't remember, let me remember for you.


The You tube link below* is of the Stones (Germany/'67) doing an incredibly alive live version of "Under my Thumb". There are many versions of this song. The original single, from Aftermath, is one of their classics. Very studio - non noisy, with piano and that other percussion instrument. Then there's the Gallo version from the movie "Gimmie Shelter"- slow understated groove, nice riff. On the 1981 tour, I believe they opened up with the song. And there is a superior exciting live version on their "Got LIVE if You Want It" LP from 1966. This was always my favourite, although the quality of the LP was terrible ( I'm pretty sure it was two audio tracks on this LP- one side the band, and the other side girls screaming).


Oh- and the version of Joe Piscapo as Sinatra doing the song on SNL - he drops whole lines of the song, saying just "Thumb", f.ex. Just thought I'd include that one.


Good song in all its guises- but this is now my favourite version. The video doesn't go with the audio, but they still are well matched. I absolutely love how exciting this version is. Racing rocking version with soundboard quality. The drumming, Mick singing "HA!", Mick's dansicing style around the 1m50s mark, and, especially: THAT RIFF. It's the deeply imposing thing elbowing itself foward rite when Mick chours's "The change has come / Under my thumb"**


Anyway, music people, remember- if I say the song needs maybe a tambourine or something like the below riff, just remember not to take me that seriously. But- sounds great in this song, yeah?




.......................................................................
*=yes, yes, I got that trick down now. Figger'd it after a bit.
**= try 33-36s and 1m4s-1m8s, to name twice when it surfaces in the song. I said it's all rite, it's all rite.

No comments: