29 December, 2007

Shopping with Nestor

As Darwina and Vito are in for a specfic purpose- to get Darwina a prof position @ the huge meeting the American university system always has each year. This year, it happened to be in Chicago, so here comes all applicants- and their spouses- to Chicago.

Since Darwina needed the peace and quiet to prepare, Vito, Me, and another spouse of a prospective intervieweee- Nestor- went thrift store shopping. Gf joined us in the second half of out oddessy. This was a big deal for Nestor- Vito warned me that he was a huge hound for the thrift stores, and I was excited to show an interested party some of what I felt were kick ass examples in Chicago. I have made a long living @ Village Thrift stores in the storied past, and lately brought back to them for the cheap books.

Collected the gents in the Loop- it took forever to actually get to their hotel during- well- rush hour in the Loop. Nitemare driving. But collected them and headed south to the first stop, that Unique Thrift on Archer and about 35th. Not one of my favourites, but we all got something there. Then off to the next, a Villiage on 47th near Western. I think it was here that i realised just how large of a thrifty Nestor was.

First of all his taste. Very faboulous and flamboyant. And good. He picked out stuff for Vito and I that were just great- I wouldn'y have ever thought of getting some of the stuff- and I didn't get a lot- but his choices were great. Massive leather jacket, kick ass shoes that were just too small, and a pure early 80's jacket that again I woulda never even considered. Good taste exhibited.

Second of all his taste. Very faboulous and flamboyant, and geared towards brand names and styles of bygone areas. Those shoes? Some famous brand. That jacket? Same. I had no idea, but he knew clothes like I know the movements @ Waterloo. Depending on where his spouse gets a job, maybe there will be another shopping spree.

But he got next to nothing. I had hoped that these stores, that I believe in totally, would be rich ground for him. However, given that he got little, I have to think that these stores actually have been picked over pretty clean. They are pure thrift shops, used by the people in the working class 'hoods in which the stores are located- but I now suspect that even these stores have been previously picked over by those in the know. I never felt that 'cause I have no clue as to what the famous brands are- just what looks good- but I think the stores were scoured beforehands.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nestor whooped up the shopping to everyone at the conference. Thank you Hilts, another job well done.