29 January, 2009

The Gangs of the Second Floor / Aqua Man

Every fucking day they congregate - the young shaved headed young men wearing black or black and tan, every fucking day, every class time change, rite outside the library.

We don't have a gang problem - but like every school, they are there. There are lunchrooms rite outside the media center, so the kids tend to congregate around the entrances to the lunch room and ..... hang. I don't have a terrible problem normally w/ kids going late to class - oh, unless they are so late and they are ignoring my yelling @ them to get to class - but with these kids I do.

Now, again, there usually no drama - the kids hang out, and since no adults roust them out, they stay. So, since it's outside the library - and I hate to see the gangs alowed to just hang - I always go out and get them to move. I'm never mean and treat them w/ respect, so they do move easily for me. But to get them to move, I have to basically go to each one, look directly into their eyes, get the recalcitrant ones 'k'mooon, ya gotta mooove' , and then go back again to the ones that only moved 15 feet or so. Again, they move for me, and I always thank them and called them men - they don't get violent or even start to talk back.

There have been fights over the years - not too many, but they happen. I stopped a huge action about 5 weeks ago. Again, the epicenter was rite outside the library, and this time it was 30 boys squaring off against another 30, and me in the middle w/ a crowd of 400 watching. I was able to halt whatever was going on long enough for my calls for the cops to get there. This earned me the laughing nickname of "Aqua Man" - ah, yet another nickname.

But there are times when I gotta rush somewhere and it's classtime change and they are all hanging out. Sometimes it's just too much tom spend 5m getting the kids to move. And I hate that these fucks get to wear their colors and just stand there. So, Im going to one of the AP's to-morrow to see if I can get some police up there during class change time. I hope i'm not stirring up stuff - but I'm tired of it.

As a last cavaet, the Ap (assistant Principal) I'm seeing is always the same one - even though in this case I should be reporting to another one. She's just easier to talk to.

No comments: