28 January, 2009

Footbal au Printemps: In space and time

So, after Mondays conditioning went great - that's three in a row - the bug a boos of time and space hit today. So - did you ever think that I would ever write that my schools Boys basketball team has a home game today - meaning I don't have to travel to some dangerous part of the city to get harassed - and that sucks? Nah - I'm gonna try and watch it - but I also now have to basically have the girls ruin after school instead of letting them play soccer in the gym. Of our three gyms, one is dedicated to the boys game and the other two will probably taken by girls basketball or the JV boys team.

The other is time: I have a 9th and 10th periods to cover today - for whatever reason, I am subbing all day (imagine that - a sub subbing!), so I'll have to rely on the other coach to cover 10th period. I know I was real worried last post on my first day w/ my new assistant - but my worries ghave faded a bit. He came to me yesterday and reitterated that he'd like to send his kids home on Fridays, but during seasons henwill make sure that he has them on fridays. This eased me tremendously. I can deal w/ him missing Frdiays preseason - it's such a damn grind that it is my aim to keep him and the girls fresh for the season. But, as head of the whole deal, I need to know that the girls entering our system understands the amount of work it takes to be a part of the team. For those of you who think I am an evil headstrong coach bent on touturing players for long hours of practice, I'll point out again that I think it very unfair that my girls do not get the New Trier or Nequa Valley experience -and I damn well will do in my power to change that. We also deserve what they get. But - I was a bit worried, and now I am much more @ ease. I understand that i am asking a lot of everybody. The V. girls are relishing the amount of work they have to do. The JV players have to be gulitridden into doing their work - we can't leave down Sweeper(1/2 of V. Captain) now, can we?

But - running today. Only 2m and some sprints.

No comments: