29 January, 2009

Footbal Au Printemps: Improvise

It's funny - it's my baby, and I wanna do it my way. But the realization is that even though this is my baby - and the 55 girls to who it will be also 'their baby' - I really have to let some control out of my hands.

Of course, I'm writing about my new assistant. At first, I was kinda shocked that he wasn't all that into the - well, the amount of work that is involved in ....... well, my baby. When this first came to me - my first coaching job @ the high school - I also was deeply shocked @ the amount of deeply tiring work and time that is involved w/ coaching. That year, I only worked @ Saw HS for the first semester, so I only coached the boys team. But the combo of the workload on a teacher - those of y not in the gigg have no idea, although I'm sure many other jobs have tremendous loads as as well - and then the huge amount of time dedicated to coaching - it's an ordeal. Before this school, the two most touching coaching posts I had were @ Lit HS and Nek HS. @ Lit I was a classroom teacher - and the year was stunningly long death march between five classes and both Fall and Spring seasons - and twice a week off season conditioning sessions for 3 1/2 hours. It was murder. I had no life. Well, I developed a secret life, I guess - a decade gone - but it was a deep ordeal. @ Nek, the soccer got even more intense. Here I finally was a librarian - so no lesson plans, grades to do, papers to grade, etc etc etc - but @ Nek, there really wasn't an off season. So, although I didn't go lesson plans, during the season I still got up @ 5.20 AM and getting home on game days past 9pm. Basically, I couldn't even get a good nights sleep -like it was 1894 and I was fighting for the 11 hour day or whatever. When season ended - we actually did get some time off - two fucking weeks, before we started to go twice a week and then five days a week two weeks before Christmas.

But in both of these places I found a home. The teams were like little families. There were brothers and sisters, Love, laughter, and commitment. And I learned. I was going to retire from this school, and my name was to be added to the long list of coaches and players that played @ his school. And then I lost my job. But my involvement in the teams - the feeling and the experience - stayed w/me.

When I got to the school I am @ now, I didn't coach. I'll say it now - there is ZERO interest in the staff for soccer. Zero. I know i shouldn't write about work, but it does seems that no one cares. At least by the standards of the schools I was @. These were serious about soccer schools - well, among the soccer staff and students - and my school was a joke.

So, last year when I finally asked and said "HEY - I'M AN EXPERIENCED COACH - WANT ME?" - I was shocked @ this schools soccer program. Really shocked. Whereas I'm used to the coaches having filled schedules w/ opponents all around the area - bus trips to the North Side, the Suburbs, out West - this school, plays the bare minimum of seven conference games. Seven. And I knew that the boys side of things was equally in disarray. In all truth, I've been to the mountaintop - and was shocked by what I saw down below.

So- my aim is get this school's program to be one of its greatest assests. I love this school - I really love it - and I totally want the best for my kids. We all know the deep benefits of sports for kids - especially especially especially for girls - and I fully realise that one thing I can contribute to this world is this program for my kids. I want my school to have the same soccer rep as the top schools - so that when people think of girls soccer, it's not just the famous school that get all the ink. I smile thinking ahead to the future - 10 years, maybe - when I will be coaching this school deep into the state playoffs. I'm planning a run in state this year - but in ten years.....................

So - I know this is my trip. The assistant coach - a good kid - must really regret getting involved @ this point. He's suggested that maybe we have started too early - but I know for sure that Nek started rite after Thanksgiving (2m before us) and every other top school has as well. He wants to take Fridays off - shit, we were on the pitch every Friday of the OFF SEASON. But the deal is, after expecting to get another Pito or whatever to coach with, I got a young man shocked @ the amount of work that is involved in not just the working world - but in trying to change the world.

This is my aim. I'm understand that this is MY AIM, and not necessarily every ones - including my new assistant, a very good man. So, in trying to change the world, I will have to change myself and my expectations - otherwise it hurts the team.

No comments: