21 January, 2009

On eggs and pasta

Chez Gallos on a Sunday Nite. Gf and I were slated to dine the wkd before, but it's always a tite guest list: we didn't get our reservations in on time and had to pull some strings to get on the list this Sunday nite. On the menu was hunks of bacon and pasta sauce culled from an egg and cheese whip-up. Although it apparently is a standard dish in Italia, the idea that eggs make up a pasta sauce is kinda new - kinda should read 'brand' - to me.

As in ALL portions of my life, laze has raised itself over action, and that law of inertia rules reigns heavy ov'r me these days - it's great when someone says 'come over and eat' or "i got these tite tix to the Bulls game" or even simply "This is where we're going on Saturday show up" or "El Grecos and JJK are here -when will this happen again in our lives, and yr only 4 blocks away!?!". When it's presented not so much as a choice but more of a plan - then often I can finally get my columns moving towards the front again. So, last weeks plashed* plans segwayed easily into "...next Sunday".

Supper was brilliant. I'd retired for a spell into the VIP section in the back of Chez Gallos when Gallo himself parafrased to me "Hey - y wanna watch - its easy?". Since this is not a blog comme some which list off their recipes - a good idea that I'm not mocking - I'm'a not'a gonna' do it either. But it was easy as hell - pasta, c'mon...........then fry up bacon....again, cmon....... and then whip up parma and eggs. The idea is to pour the sauce into the pasta and let the heat of th pasta cook up the sauce. Not too much, owever, or y have scrambled eggs - I assume that to successfully get this recipe done, one has to have just a touch. I can say that the first tme we will try this recipe (Yes, it was easy, but as Gf and I discussed in the Strasser on the homeward tilt that "they make everything look easy ", so...) we'll probably get something more akin to a pasta breakfast. It was beautiful, and sorta like Helen, I have a feeling that this meal's beauty will eventually launch a thousand meals.

Funny. The only meal I am actually a master @ is that Irish Breakfast. Years of handling and loving The Fry. but when I go to Winstons and get the fry, I gladly hand it over to Gallo or Crankface. Yes, as i am lazy- yes, cause they are swell chefs -but yes mainly, because they get a much bigger kick out of the process than me.


....................................................
*=who says I can't mint - err, print - my own new words? this is Hilts writing....

No comments: