02 June, 2007

productive day

Friday was a productive day on so many fronts. The events...

I lost my battlefield commission

Most importantly, this was the day that I lost my battlefield commission in the media center. Queen Bee, in whose 'position #' I have been working in* since early October (basically the whole year), came back today. Very excited to get her back, the whole day I was in the library was a sorta celebration. She took so much time off; it was good to see her happy and working. However, this also was the day I reverted back to sub pay. It was expected, and I had a great run.

I was:

I paid as a regular teacher with benefits and holidays and all that.

I was able to get so much more experience @ a media center that really functions well. My experience running a library myself last year combined with the 1.75y @ this school have been incredible. I need ever more experience, but I have such a good handle on the immense possibilities of a well run media center now. I do believe that I am exactly where I should be in my career, and the future is so open. It's exciting to know that so much is not far off in the future, but, well, i', living in it now......although I still need that permenant job. That scene in the Matrix where either Tank or Dozer is strapping up Neo to run programs through him and (either tank or dozer) says along the lines of "Morpheas has told us you are The One- if it's true.....so exciting...". My time, now 1.75y @ this school, has allowed me to feel like I can stop bullets without ever moving. gotta get that job.

I got so much love being here. I've always had the feeling of being loved by many my whole life- kool family, frenz etc... but the absolute force of love the kids just pour on us is immense. Very bittersweet is the end of the year we face now- lovely sleep is just 2w away, but those daily doses of love our kids dish is very empowering. The most lovely water we have ever drank. I have 2 examples later when i write on the prom, but two general examples would be:

1==Mr. Hilts, to the packed media center @ large "Say, I need 2 or 3 strongs boys to help me move this stuff- c'mon guys, I need it." and suddenly they all stand up to help.
2==All the librarians here (two full, me=one, and two clerks)have their favourite kids and kids who like them best. The kids love us all, but some have better relationships with certain kids. One of 'my' kids waiting @ the front desk while I finish something. If they're one of mine, they'll wait because they want to be dealt with by me, and not one of the others.

Both of these are small little things, but make live nice. Nice feeling.

I felt I did a job well. When I was a classroom teacher, it was a nail in the coss and my hand every day. so hard. being a librarian is so natural to me, or maybe I just took so long to mature. But I got so much love from the other librarians, teachers, higher ups, etc..... I know I did a good job, and that's very important to someone whose huge concern is/and has been functioning @ the work level.



So, getting into school, I have to go to the central office to sign up as a sub. Central office can sometimes be a chore, but it took no time and I got it all done. I signed up as a fulltime cadre sub, and i will have that distinction for a whole year-I fully intend to get a job next year, but if I don't, @ least I'll get max sub pay (Too embarrased to publish what it is, but I'll tell ya in secret). I also get--guess what-- full benefits!! I get my health and dental for the year as well. And, to top it off, it took no time and the people were very helpful. Stopped by the Harold Washington library, got a dvd (again,no Trilogy) and the news that Sandra Cisneros will be @ HWL in Juin. She's very cool, though I've only read her poetry so far.

Back to school, el style, the cicadas, lunchenette @ Gilmarts, go home.


I went to prom

I haven't been @ this school for that long, so many of the kids are mysteries to me. However, I feel its important to support them in all ways- I go to a lot of sports events for a 1/2 or so just so the kids will see me there. It was time to say goodbye to the seniors this nite. I hoped that more teacher would have gone, but maybe 30 went. Out of 200+ teachers and more staff, I expected more. It’s such a good school. Lesser schools have had better turnouts. However, I now have much more good feelings for the ones who did go: Mr. C., the soccer coache, the one who got the bobcut 3w back , the former principal, etc… Said hello to the principal (always a good deal to be seen by her, though @ my last school it didn’t help much).

Prom was held @ the Museum of Science and Industry. Nice place. There was a central dance area with 3 wing areas to chill. One could danse, hang out @ a table, or visit the exhibits. I saw the train layout: however, ride of place for exhibits went to the Stuka divebomber suspended from the ceiling. Can’t beat a prom that features a Stuka.

His year the white zoot suit with baby blue vest was in for guys. I hear that the girls look was toned down from the near naked girls who showed up last year. I was casual.

Free food, water and pop. I stuffed myself.

My two favourite moments, alluded to above, were with kids I knew.

One was with a couple who always hung in the library. They raced over during the dancing and tried really hard to get me to danse. they asked some of the lady teachers to danse w/ me, but we demurred. I promised I’d danse, but it was only late late late and me shuffled out in the midst of all swaying and turning and sweating : I bumbld my feet but a bit, to the beat, for 6sec, felt promise fulfilled (albeit in such a jive way), and left the prom.

Two was leaving the building all-to-gether when I ran across one of the graduating seniors. I said “Heeeey!” and the response was “Hi Virgil”. Mockingly: “What did you just call me?” and again: “Virgil.”. Very funny.


The nite

From the near South Side I punished the Strasser North and West to arrive @ the garden party on 22d and Central. Despite a pitstop sizzlestop in an alley off the Eisenhower, I made it in good time. I went to KLAS, a restaurant/bar whose owner went to hs w/ several dudes I know. Some of these same dudes are using this connexion to get to-gether some shows and parties @ this place- Bully Pulpit and National Trust are supposed to be playing, and rumours of some other shows too. This party would be one of a string of hipster stuff going on here this summer. There was talk of a differing happening each month or so- that’d be kool if a productions could be pumped out of this place- the owner seems willing and the crowd @ this first event looked rite and smart. Was too late to hear much of the music, but generally I like both Nat and Tru on the tables.

No live music this. This nite I was there for a party. It was strange territory. I knew that Nat and Tru were playing @ d.j.’s , but beyond that I had no clue what to expect. I also wondered what to expect because Gf was there w/out me-I figured she’d be fine hanging out with everyone there. When I got to the door, there was Gf w/ a cigarette in her hand-not a good sign. ((However, all was well- she was fine, and the place was easily navigated)). We were in the back of the place, in a walled in garden outside. Late as I’d come/Lots were there/circular tables/Gf here .

I came rite, more or less, as the Rockers, the Homers, and Wib. were splitting. Plopped down @ a table of allies. Jam Master Jay and I talked for a bit on blogs, and I passed on this address to him. Hopefully he reads as I write... Code Name Paul split soon. Army Z was there with yet another female. Always him with the femme female. (WhichWayWorkestHim???? I think the story was that they are jobbed up to-gether paycheck style)
Nat and Tru both had some talks at the allies table--drinx as well!!


We stayed way to late and battledrove south to Mt.G.

No comments: