11 June, 2007

More Sunday Morning than Saturday Nite

Went to Mass Sunday, and enjoyed it a bit. Each Catholic mass is built around a certain theme or message, methinks. I guess its some department in the Vatican that decides years in advance what the theme of the mass will be, and what 3 main readings will be read to support that theme. I think the local parish decides on which songs and prayers will be used to support the theme.

I’m not necessarily a good Catholic. It’s embarrassing, but I’m one of those labeled a ‘pick and choose’ Catholic. No matter what I p’n’c, it’s a decent enough label for me. However, one thing I totally let the Catholic Church do is lead my spiritual journey--so to speak-- for the week. What this means is that I pay attention to what this weeks theme is and read/study what the three readings are. At the end of the three readings, the priest then has a sermon- 10-30m- about this weeks theme for all to hear. This I listen to and compare what he has to say (and it's always a he) to what I took from the reading. It's one of my favourite things to do, and I do believe it's considered the 'Protestent' thing to do; concentrate on the word and he sermon, and not so much on the holy rituals.

Sometimes the package of readings, sermons, hymns, to-getherness, is wonderful, and real piritual connexions are made for me*. Sometimes, its all rubbish and God do I want to leave this pew so boring!!

The general theme Sunday was culled from readings from Genesis 14, about some dude who blessed Abraham by breaking bread. Then 1 Con. 11 called us to be witnesses, or something- but bread breaking again. However, the famous reading was the famous gospel, Luke 9- where Jesus had to feed the massive crowds that had come to hear him preach. As nite fell onto a day of preaching, there was only a few pieces of fish and bread to feed the multitudes. Jesus had the scrabble put before him, said a few prayers over it, and told his disciples to feed the many. When feeding time was done, they gathered the leftovers, and there was enough to fill 12 fishybready baskets !!

Of course, this famous story of His life is taken to be one of the big miracle stories and therein lies it's importance (ritual, holiness, miracle); but also it's w/in the Catholic tradition of action (good works, love...) For me, it was an obvious call to share the wealth of the world- physical, mental, emotional, spiritual- with each other. See- if we work to-gether, what seems too little is actually more than enough to go around and then some.

I admit I wish there was some sorta lay preacher role in the Catholic Church. Some thought I’d be good. Probably have to spend my energy defending the idea of priesthood in a time of abusive priests in the open. But any lay role for me’d be ’d have to be in the Church.

By the way, don't remember anything the priest said in his sermon. Such material to wok with...

*=i think !

No comments: