17 February, 2007

two movies, 44% French overall


Saw Joyeaux Noel last nite w/ gf on dvd. Nothing i'd recc., but was ok enough not to offend. Itsa movie based on the ordinanary soldiers xmas eve truce in the first winter of World War I. The movie shows the genesis of the truce betwixt the french, scots, and german frontliners. Weak, but passable.

Now, what I really want to write on the subject:
I have a "bad problem" when it comes to any movie w/ military stuff in it. I'm always thinking i'm the genius and love to force my views on anyone w/in earshot (now being done with that selfeffacement, i can now continue...). These views always revolve aroung something happening in the film that would just never happen in real life, @ least w/ anysort of trained soldier. Happens in so many movies.

So, what in Joy. Noel was done stupidly? The opposing trenches were only 20-25m apart = stunningly close in ww1 terms. This did happened, and a lot. what I had trouble with was both sides taking cover in each others trenches. I can't even begin to imagine that the state of accuracy in the first winter of the war could be that good. Well, I mite be wrong on this on. But 25yds is about as close as it gets, and i bet that early in the war........

One movie got it, always got it, and even got me many times...............Hail to the chief, Band of Brothers. My favourite "yes" moment of this type came in the 2d hour of BOB, when the paratroopers, already landed in France, suddenly hear giant wooshing sounds over their heads : the naval bombardment had begun. I remember that nite, 9 Sept 2001 @ Gallos Rogers Park, sitting on the couch, and thinking 'how good is this?' about the quality of the show @ that moment. later, I got a little too much into BOB, but I'll write about that later. No wait, I addressed that beautifully in the lyrics of an old General Strikes song.


The other film I saw, a few days ago, was Ma Femme Est Une Actrice. Got it when I was downtown (Harold W. lib). Nothing special, Charlotte Gainsbourough nonewithstanding. Lots of french and switching between languages.

No comments: