06 February, 2007

Hawk in de kitchen wat ima gonna do ? (UPDATE)

A bird flying around your house is good luck in some cultures. I once scared a bird into my Uncle Pete's in Ireland. Quickly I shut the doors except for the outdoor one and it flew to its freedom right away. So last nite it was my turn to unloose a Hawk in the house. No freedom for it yet.
I was driving home from work yesterday, and I saw the flash of feathers on the side of the road. Quickly circled the block, and it was what I thought : downed raptor. He was just sitting there, obviously hurt bad and not reacting. But no way was I going to mess with his claws or beak. Had a cardboard box and I kinda shunted him into it. Didn't know if I could save him, but I just couldn't let him sit there in zero weather rite next to a zipping main street.
So, Hawk goes to my house for an hour or so. I took him in Bolo's carrying case, and when I tried to switch him into it, up he tried to fly to the ceiling. Good, @ least his wings were not broke. I'm sure it was bad internal injuries.
Had to drive all the way north again to 27th and Western, where I dropped him off @ the city animal control center. The staff was real nice, but the bird guy had left. Hawk had to face a long lonely hurting nite before anyone could properly tend him in the morning. I'm still too scared to call, but I will update the readers.
Hawk was tiny, too. He was probably smaller than a Rock Dove (pigeon). Pigeons are actually pretty big birds.
UPDATE
Hawk never survived the nite. Talked to a very nice lady @ 27th and Western (the whole staff, yesterday and today, was very nice- i'm sure they have to deal with people losing animals all the time, so....) who researched when I called and she said he never made it to the raptor repair center. I knew it, he just seemed so hurt. Heavy breathing. Very sad, I was really hoping..............
On the other hand, BBC News had a story of the mass execution of fowl going on in England rite now--100,000's of birds being killed.
None, however, had flown in my kitchen. Bye, Hawk, I really did the best I could. Good Luck.