16 February, 2007

Round the corner give some gas

Against all odds, I happened to see a play @ the Goodman Thursday @ 11am. Field trip to see Joe Turner’s Come and Gone. It’s a play filled wit men running from woman and women running from men. The play was set in Pittsburgh in 1920‘s(?) and was part of a ten play cycle by August Wilson about African American life in the last century - a play a decade. Lotsa black culture-talk, songs, ideas, games, food, etc… There was a nice piece from the christ figure to the young man who wanted to just use woman. It went along the lines of when a man finds a woman, he finds a whole new world, just like a sailor nearing land goes beyond just looking @ the shore in the horizon (using the woman) and when he lands on the` shore = its a whole world for him. It came out bd from me, but was great from the stage.

Saw it with a bunch of CPS kids from all over the city. The kids got into it. There were nice things noticed about seeing this play amongst the kids. The biggest rouse of the afternoon was when two of the characters - they were also kids, but younger than those present- kissed. Ruckus event, that moment. Then I loved the levels of applause for each character @ the bows. It was an ensemble cast, so there were lots of great parts. The kids were impolite-- they were boisterious for their favourites. Everyone got lots, but one chara. got most = his nod when it was apparent his was the highest support.

10 of 11 characters in the play are black and the audience was maybe 70% black. There was a suggestion of unease in the crowd the first time the white chara said ‘negro’ w/ that accent. All the chara’s had heavy accents and expressions.

Great play. I loved it. And here I was sick. Sucked to drive to El and take it to loop & Rtrip. Well, got a Reader! Had no appitite, but I ate a piece of cheese and cracker neice #2 brought back from a intercontinental trip. Veddy good. When I got back to school, I was so blown (term for cavalry horses exhausted useless after a charge) I did easy stuff, then winged home.

The play was in the Owen theatre, a small part of the goodman complex. I was last there in like 2000, when I saw Amongst the Thugs, probably my fave play ever.

No comments: