28 February, 2009

Keegans Friday nite

Ah, a post on what i did last nite - what is this, a proper blog? LFP is opening up an Irish bar near Gf's and Midway airport. Neither of us wanted to really do something, so we stayed @ home - but if LFP's bar was up, we woulda had a drink there. Not yet.

So, around 11.30p, I figured I'd go out for a drink. Starassered to Keegans, twenty in hand and the bar on my belly - and @ '2oclock' is LFP. He was w/ a lawyer buddy - not an oldtimer, but a neighbour. We talked a lot- I eventually had 3.5 drinx and am feeling it now - and it was good. The guys were out w/ their wives @ some political function, and the wives went home (im always interested in couple dynamics - I like it when I see in a relationship when half of a couple leaves and the other stays - healthy).

We talked of BCD. There were many stories, but the best was an old one - when he was 23, he was dating a much older CTA bus driver. Our laughs on that situation. That he would NEVER date a white women. Then there was his present girlfriend who he met on LFP's Wedding Day. Nine years ago. Wow. Many stories, but no all here ...

We talked shop. LFP is all hooked up w/ the city and knows everyone. I always like to hear citytalk - of these inspectors, those contractors, that document, and the two doors that have to be redone.

We talked of 'others' hoodlum past. Of windows being put out in houses where incorrect signs were put up. Of debris raining down on classmates and citizens unfortunate to get into out gunnery range.

And my favourite story - passed onto LFP from Mr. B. (who i'll be seeing tonight) - about my Dad. He was far far far cheaper than I, and more stubborn. He worked in America - in Chicago - for the C.T.A. When he retired, he could take the buses for free. So, we never had a car until real late - im sure he never had a drivers licence - and he always took the bus.

So, one day, Dad was carrying a 4ft ladder under his arm and tried to get on the bus. The driver - a jerk, since my dad was a retired CTA guy - didn't let him get on w/ the ladder. So my dad got off the bus, motioned to Mr. B. to hold the ladder, got back on the bus and moved to the back. There he pushed open the window - they swung out in these days - and motioned Mr. B. to hand up the ladder. My dad held the ladder fast to the side of the bus and off it took.

Mom got a laugh out of this one when I told her it this morning.

No comments: