19 February, 2009

The J & B Flying Circus

T.C.'s, J & B's home for the past five years (no, not a lonely cold Norwegian fjord) has stopped hosting Benkowski Trivia. We are presently in our "Little Interregnum", although we are also in our "Galloping Ghost" Tour as well. Ok, I'll explain.

We'd been going to T.C.'s since early in 2003. J & B had been around since the early 1990's (1980's?) in a format I'd taken little part in. These were the days of Q and Madonna and all that, so women were top of the pops 2 that point. I went twice, I think, But Moho, Chemical Man, Stix, Lazers, Peppys, and maybe other people went all the time. However, around ?, J & B stopped competing. I really do not know what happened (I've been wanted to write a small history of J & B for a long time now), but the Interregnum had started and didn't stop until Jan. 2003. Then, finally, J and B went back into action - and I was "in". From Spring 2003 to Jan. 2009, our home every other Thursday was T.C.s.

But that's all over now. Economic times have erased trivia from TC's. But there are lots of trivia competitions out there. Benky himself has maybe 8 other bars where he does trivia. A famous-because-of-vinnie bar, Grauchos, does it every Sunday night. We were there last Sunday. And on the 28th, we return -as Cup holders - to St. Bedes trivia.

So - and yes, it's only me calling it an interregnum and a galloping ghost tour* - but we are sampling different trivia in different areas and w/ different groups. So, Sunday @ Graucho's was a return for Peppys who did Grauchos in the 80's. Next Wednesday, we are going to a Benky location on Ash Wednesday (gotta find ashes early, mannnn), The castle on 79th and Harlem. Bedes Cup on Saturday. And seemingly, a return to Graucho's on Sunday. So - believe it or not, I gess I gotta call an end to caling it the 'little Interregnum" since we are triving it up on A Wednesday, a Saturday, and a Sunday. Three times in five days.
As I used to toast when I got my cider and it was always Lazers, Chemical Man, and I there first ="It's J & B Winning Time"

...........................
*=what, you fuxx don't have the same cachet reserved for the English Revolution and the early history of the Bears as I do??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the "History of J&B" idea...no doubt will become a required part of the curriculum of any college worth its reputation.

Hilts said...

ja

Hilts said...

vowl

Hilts said...

er

Hilts said...

s