27 February, 2009

Football au Printemps : The Coral Sea

The Battle of the Coral Sea was, more or less, the first naval victory of the Americans over the Japanese in WW2. In truth, if one takes total tonnage as an indicator - then our loss of Lexington far outweighs the enemy losses of that battle. But the Japanese lost a light carrier and horrid damage to two of their fleet (large) carriers - so much so that in the next big battle (Midway), the absence of these two Japanese fleet carriers let the Americans (only 6m after Pearl Harbor) achieve local parity and eventually the stunning victory that totally changed the war in the Pacific.

Up to this point of the war, it'd been an unending run of 6m of Japanese victories. The Japanese wanted to fully take over the island of New Guinea (after Greenland, the world 's biggest) but were having problems. They controlled the north part of the island, but the massive jungle that covered the Owen Stanley Mountains that ridged the island made an overland route to the other side nearly impossible. So, instead of going overland, the Japanese took a part of their fleet w/ troops to land on the other side of the mountains.

Into this breach, however, stepped a USN carrier force headed by two fleet carriers, the Lexington and the Yorktown. The battle went back and forth - in addition to Lexington's loss, Yorktown was damaged. However, the Japanese lost their light carrier (name?) and heavy damage to the two fleet carriers that were involved.

Midway is a great story - the endless sending of American planes to be shot down trying to get @ the Japanese carriers - and then the 5m when planes from three different USN ships came across the enemy fleet basically @ the same moment.

So - coral Sea, a victory for the Allies, though not so clear cut as Midway. And the work done in this battle would contribute to the later American victory. And I must learn.

And so I feel towards my team. Yesterday, a bit of peace on the situation passed into me. Despite the 'ravages of war' in my mind going on, our team will persevere. It's been terrible to have no practice for the last two weeks - but we will carry on. My varsity players have been bit by bit getting their paperwork in, and a flash of new freshmen - w/ paperwork in hand - have been dribbling in. I really feel I fucked up - but I knew I'd make mistakes. I'm letting the girls down - but they can see I'm trying my hardest. But the spirit of the girls, the excitement of the new girls to be involved, and the gravity of the responsibility has me again looking forward. Just chastised.

But, earlier in the week, when I was scared that I wouldn't even have a team because of the paperwork deal - now I realise that I will have a roster by the time the first game - St. Patrick's Day - turns up. The Coral Sea was a step forward for the fortunes of the US military in WW2. Not a great victory like Midway - there were terrible losses - but the necessary work was done for the later victory.

Our Midways will come this year. Should I start calling myself Fletcher?

No comments: