17 February, 2009

Alan's War : The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope


Wonderful new graphic novel I have finally read. It's about Alan Cope, his war years, and after. No matter what the subject matter - war and women - it's death that effected me the most. Truly - I'm so deeply worried about my Mom these days - no, nothing going on besides the touchy march of time, so don't worry - but it's the touchy march of time/ that binds (us) and the ineluctableness of the whole thing - that worries me.


Anytime I see an old person, inevitibly I think of my parents. This wondeful book, hundreds of pages long, and it's this page and the page before it that I keep refering to. Alan Cope , whose story it is, died in 1999. The illustrator, Emmanuel Guibert, did a fine job - and there is the possibility that he will put out more books on Alan Cope soon. "Promised" is a book on Copes childhood - and my great hope is that his grandmother will be a main character in it.

Seriously - every hour or so last night, I'd find the book again and reread those two-three pages.

But I must realise that they are gone, they will not come back, and the deal is is to go forward.

No comments: