05 February, 2009

Football Au Printemps:The Pay Packet

Koach K, the assistant, told me that the person he asked about coaching said he couldn't do it. And I am glad. First off, although things actually are great w/ koach K and i - we need time, and that's all - I want to be the one to hire people. Fuck - my first city patronage -i feel so city -and I get to hand out two jobs - yet one of the patronage opportunities was almost taken away from me. I will say, that this patronage deal is.....so kool.

So - Siren. My first choice. I've mentioned her before, and this is what I said: she graduated in 2007, but since the team was all underclassmen @ that point, she'd come to practice and games all the time. I noticed that she LOVED being part of THE TEAM -so much so that I knew that if I got the top job here, I'd make sure she'd be back in some form. So, rite in fall when I started to get this all together, guess what - she popped up again around the team. So, then, I started to think "she's for the freshman team". However, when I formally offered her the position - she couldn't get paid for it. The deal is is that she got a 9h job running after school programs @ the school - and her contract doesn't allow her to work another job @ the same school. Siren told me she'd still do what she can - practice twice a week during the week w/ the freshies and coach them on Saturday (game day). I'd actually told a student who helped out last year - P. - that he'd coach the freshies - then turned him into an assistant when I thought I could pay the girl - and now he's been re elevated to "Co-head coach" of the freshies.

So - I still have two contracts to hand out. Some wishes I have for the two would be: Women, since my team is all girls; Hispanic, since all my girls are Hispanic; and young, so they have energy and will listen to me. I feel funny - am I a racist for anting a woman, or a sexist for wanting a woman? I dunno? But rite now, it's two dudes coaching the team - I'd like some women as well.

But the other deal is thus- I'm fairly certain that the women I'm considering are really not soccer women. They don't know the game. I really wanted Siren, but it seems I'll have to wait for a year to get her on staff. And I also want to hire Niece.1 - she's a mondo soccer girl and she has the coaching bug in her. Next year i'd like both on staff. But this year I soccer people to cover everywhere. I'm the coach of it all - Koach K.'s got the next level - and then the Freshies will be coached by Siren and P. But the two open positions will assist everywhere. They can be the 'official' person riding the bus to games, for example, or be the adult to start practice if I have a 10th period.

So, to-morrow I will find out more. I'd asked one of the AP's to fly by the idea past the Mom of one of possible coaches (the Mom is directly my boss - she loves me, too), and if the Mom thought it good, then we'll see if she is interested. Then the last position. 65h, maybe $1000 before taxes. We had a teacher do it last year, but she did it because there was a check and an open position. She never ever made bones about that she nothing more than a non soccer person doing what she could. She handled paper work and the candy sale- that was great. Last year she said that 'if I get the position this year and that i wanted her back, she would do it again' - but this year, she was thinking 'no go'. I have a feeling that she said that so I could make a decision my own - I totally appreciated this. However, I know that eventually I need all soccer people - so, we'll see.

However, I think it funny that the moment Hilts gets some patronage up his sleeves, the first unfettered secondary choices are the hottest young staff members.

Some patronage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tough thing to find someone to hire. If you are desperate, I could maybe think of a friend or two.

Consider me next year, I think it would be a great opportunity for myself to get out and coach.

-Sarajevo