01 December, 2008

Thanksgiving

Anytime it's somewhere to go especial and on a timeline, bet buckets that Gf will be in a tizzing mood. Say, any Thnaksgiving for example! This year we were to go to her brothers way down in Frankfurt.

I'll say it rite now. I've been to many things @ this place by now, and this Thursday ran typical:

Remained silent - after hellohowareyous - for a long bit.
Talked a bit w/ Gf @ the crowded kitchen table.
Cut away for some reading of blogs and such. (why doesn't Blackie start his blog up again - it was the best blog ever.).
Ate - incredible, as it was a well cooked Thanksgiving dinner. Outstanding. Sweat potatoes and brussels sprouts made only cause Gf would know that I liked them. Just great food.
Blogged a bit - read, wrote, thought.
Vast passages in The Parables of Jesus by Jeremies read.
It was way late when we hauled up anchor and made our was from 20000's south to Belmont north not via and expressway. Her brother had an eye accident @ work, and so for the past few years he cannot drive. This really sucks, since he is a a baby and cannot just take the bus places he needs to go. Even though he has a car and his eye is good enough so that he can now return to work, he doesn't drive. So, when there is some type of family outing, he has to be picked up and then driven home. Miles and miles. Yeesh. He got to Gf's via the bus on Thanksgiving, but we had to drive him home. I'm used to it, but I think that he really takes advantage ...Chicago runs out like 12000 west out there, and it's actually a good bet to move north and south out there via the N/S roads - like Wolf or Harlem - instead of trying to seek out I-80 or whatever. So - a deep drive, taking up lots of time, from her brothers to drop her other brother off - and then back to her place. A long trip.
I really missed my family this holiday. This marks the third year Ive been to Thanksgiving and Christmas w/ her family. No problem for this Christmas, though - our famil and her family's celebrations are not on the same day, so finally.... It really struck me this year. Thanksgivings have always been a downer for the family - my Dad died on Thanksgiving Sunday, my brother and cousin (Cousin's Dad) dies around this date. Funny, especially w/ my Dad. His dates of birth and death always fall on these days. So, every year, we get to celebrate his birth, his death, and then the "day" he dies - that Thanksgiving Sunday nite. Three 'dates' to mourn Dad. So, I really felt bad when I missed Thanksg. for the third time in a row, but then Gf and I had plans to go out on the Sunday nite for the Bears game. I petitioned and told her my feelings (wow - I told her my feelings) - and we dinnered @ my house while wondering why Devin hester is not runignback kickoffs still.

No comments: