19 December, 2008

Young Adult Literature.2

In some ways, my fit as a bookpusher to young adults is slitely off - I mean, how am I to not respond w/ Ulysses to the question "What would be a good book to read?" But I have been reading some lately - for disparate reasons.

One was "Cures for a Heartbreak", a so so book - well, it was an easy read - about a girl who loses her Mom to cancer and has to deal w/ her Dad's heart attack and his new wife. Not a bad book, but nothing special- w/out it being in Mayor Daley's Book Club list for this month, I woulda never read it. And I'm not really recommending it for you. Unless yr 16.

And then there was Nick and Nora's Infinate Playlist. This as definately not a book club issue. I'd heard about the movie first, wanted to see it, read some reviews, thought the better of it, and then forgot about it.

I came across the book in this library. Someone had stolen the last copy we got - I found the ripped off UPC sticker on the floor and knew. So, someone reordered it, and figgered I'd read it. Then I saw the authors - Rachael Cohn and David Levithan - both HUGE names on the Y.A.L. field. So, although I tend to read lotsa military history or iblical studies - I also need to keep up w/ what the kids read.

And not just manga.
.

No comments: