04 December, 2008

Quelle damage

Boy, I hadn't realised the damage to NS-1 Peter Strasser, flagship of all fleets. I'd had to wheel full starboard to avoid a crash on a wet pavement kinda street a fortnight ago - and only when I had to go on wet ground again did I realise that this isn't just a messed alignment in the bows of the vessel. I'm fearing that the whole front rudder system is fucked -and will take many a dueschtmarks to drydock it for further battle.

But - still I ride. it's totally drivable - but its hard to turn @ speed on the wet.

Now, realise - my driving style closely resembles the destroyers action @ Jutland or maybe one of the many 'glorious' night battles off of Guadacanal -that is, full speed and helm to port when needed, reverse the propellers suddenly to drop behind that ship or this, and sudden dips and scatters when conditions call for.

This gets me there...ususally.

However, fettered driving is scarey driving. Ice this morning? - there were patches - sudden slow almost to a full stop when taking in helm changes - better that then a slide into the ship next to me. Regular all ahead full when everything is moving in my dierection? Full hands on the steering wheel - and no taking yr eyes/hands out of the important business of sailing. A moments thin attention means disaster.

No comments: