18 December, 2008

Mayo update

Mayo has that problem of not knowing exactly when to leave places, and when people point out the rules - and the fact that people pick on him - he tends to put up a fuss when it comes time to leave. Very stubborn kid. I've had to go over the following things with him again and again - it's like dealing w/ an Alzheimer's patient sometimes. My arguments go thusly:

"The school first priority is to insure a safe place for the students to be @. When kids are en masse hanging out in front of the school waiting for their frenz to get out - these are times when fights and gang intimidation deals are carried out. So: security has the kids get off school property right away, then tries to shoo them away from the El station across the street. Although it would be nice to have the kids hangout wherever they want, history suggests that one thousand unsupervised kids will -eventually, if not today then to-morrow, then whenever (and no, St. Charles or St. Rita or Glenbard West kids, I do not wanna hear it- this is the context we have to deal with) start shenanigans that will eventually lead us to the cover of the Sun Times and people will be thinking "What the truck is it w/ these city kids? And what kind of school would let this shit happen?"

So - to provide for the proper environment for our students, kids just gotta be pushed home if they are not in after school activities. Sorta like the law which says you have to stop @ a stop sign - it just helps."

So, i'd been taking Mayo to our schools basketball games. We play @ 4.30 after school, and since Mayo likes to hang out in this hood till 9pm before going home in Chinatown, I figgered it'd be a great thing to help him waste some time here - and, of course, make sure someone is interested in his life. I went last week, and had to leave early - we were up by 30points @ halftime (team, guys, pretty good - not Farragut w/ Garnett/Fields/Wright/Rome - but.... pretty good..... just a lack of supersize in the middle). But the next day reports reached me - that he had run into sometrouble. I thought it was a huge deal, but the story was probaley just blown up before it reached me. So, I took him Tuesday to the game in the gym, and had to make sure that he understood that when the J-V game ended @, say, 6.30pm, he had to go. Whne the little kids come in for their soccer, he had to be gone.

He reported to me that on Tuesday - when I warned him he just hadda go - he did. So he listensd to me, and that's one of the things he had to know. But then I knew he really listened to me - well we'll see: After, for the fivethousanth time, he asked me about the loitering thing - and I responded w/ the above italicized statement or it's close brother - he told me that because each time I have told him the same thing - he now believes me.


In response to the question by


paperplanes

"why don't you send Mayo to get the crazy Christians?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't say that, YOU ASS.