05 December, 2008

new favourite book

I have a new favourite book -and by which I mean the physical article of the book - no, so far ulysses has not been supplanted in the fiction world, and there are just far too many nons to do anything better than to 'cut it to a hundred'.

My new book - shit if it ain't the Bible -by way of a thrift store (65th and Kedzie, la plus brave ded braves). I wasn't looking for one, but a 2002 edition of "The Young Catholics Bible" or somehting made its way into my eyesitelines, scooped it up, and then:

Um, those pages - so thin, so new, so touchable.......ooo, that beautiful cover, which will not go raggeds in my knapsack, and here's the embarrassing part:

AS someone who has observed textbooks for the last, say 30 years, I have watched them change from a 1900 version of The Times of London - all print, no pix - to text constantly cut up by charts, maps, pictures, side boxs, etc etc etc... The thinking is is that it makes it easier to read for the modern reader.

So, my new favourite book - not just looks so pretty and new; it also, um, makes it easier to read. So, you know I read books about the Bible a lot - and I have read the New Testement (mainly - not 100% yet, but 85%), but this book is gettiing me , um, ready for the O.T.

Even has Matthew 6 in it.

No comments: