02 August, 2007

Emerick again

I haven’t been liking the Emerick, I’ve been nuts about it. I not putting it down until I’m finished--no wait, I am putting it down because I want it to last. I’m now @ point where the Beats are recording Abbey Road- soon its gone. I didn’t think I’d like the book this much, but I find myself once again checking out the DVD anthology to watch yet again. So much is interesting about this book. It provides a real insider look @ one section of the Beatles career- the most important, I guess- the studio. Emerick is not there for all the recordings, but eventually, since they prize him as engineer above all, he’s on most of their songs.

The characters he describes are well known: dour George, the drugged up White Album jamming till 4am and the engineers just wanting to go home, George Martin conniving to get more of the credit then Emerick feels he deserves, The craziness when Yoko arrives in the studio, etc…..

Like the events in Berlin, April 1945, I’m fascinated by the fall of the Beatles. I’m @ the period now where it’s just fights and bad feelings, and they way Emerick describes it: wow, it was a real shitty situation where they were old enough to go their own ways but not old enough to realise the great bond they had. As old men, I’m sure John would have joined the Anthology project

The book is also a refreshing change from the Beatle books I have read recently. I red that big Spita bio, and I thought it was great. But then I read maybe 5-6-7 other books, and except for Miles boi. of Paul, they all sorta rehashed old stuff. This book, while making reference to the rehashes, is directed towards a real insiders look @ how they made the songs in the studio, the experience of those days, and the personalities inside the studio. He really doesn’t write of them outside the studio except in passing, only what he knew.

And, as sorta stated when I last posted on this book, I also love the little incidents when Ewould meet the Bats outside the studio- there’s him with a date and John pops up nearby, or @ a party and there’s Lennon again. Just a very interesting book.

No comments: