30 April, 2008

They call me Trinity

Trinity United Church - you know, the most famous church in America rite now - has a giantic massive church (different shape, but St. Rita size- that big)on 95th and about 400 West. During my years of taking the bus to the 95th Street El terminal, I'd always pass the building -and its dumpy little predecessor -on my ride. In the mid 1980's, they always had a sign up that simply said "Free South Africa". For years, they had that sign up.

When South Africa was actually 'free'd', I always liked that the sign was kept up. Not still - but for many years after 1990 and 1994. I took it that the church leaders understood that race was not the ultimate question in South Africa - it was, as we all know, class. Black or white leaders, I thought Trinity was saying, doesn't matter the colour -just green matters.

I like Rev. Wright a lot. The media plays such a rotten obstification (SP) role in our world. I dug most of what he said, and enjoyed that he had his time to say it. What a delivery, too. I was totally yukking it up listening to him. I should go for a mass there one of thee days when he's praising Jesus.


Also - liked that Rev. Wright name dropped Father Phleger of St. Sabina. I like him a lot as well and actually took in a mass @ Sabina's (Catholic Church) a few years back when Cornell West was pulpiting one Sunday. Must take GF to the mass, but the 3h time frame mite scare her away.


Wait, wait, what does Spliffy say??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huge fan of the Trinity films.

Anonymous said...

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep forever.

Anonymous said...

Wright's smart, but I think his head is up his ass. He's ruining Obama's campaign for vanity's sake. Cool, now the democratic party will get split further apart, McCain will be president and more people will die in Iraq. Way to go Wright. Hope your upcoming book sells well.

Hilts said...

It'll be Barrack and Hillary, same ticket. @ this point, there is n other way - if it's not, the uproar over it will bizzarrly outclipse the Rev. Wright deal.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least Nader's off the hook. Now the perpetual war in Iraq (and the occasional missle strike in Somalia) is Rev. Wright's fault. Personally, I blame Obama's flagless lapel for the war.

Anonymous said...

what would nbw say?

Anonymous said...

yeah..............but wadda bouta guyzz??