29 April, 2008

Into the Round of Sixteen

I figgered we'd advance past the first round. Today we beat a neighbourhood school 2-0 -and it could have been 5-0 or 6-0. This team was from a lower division, so I knew we'd played better competition during the season. I wanted my girls to go hard after the other team, and generally they did. But not all.

First, the star -C MF -scored twice. The LF played really well as well. Chiva the goalie touched the ball once. Sweeper and Stopper were great, as always. And the defenders were great. Good game for the team. I was happy. except for.....

.......... two girls - starters - are giving me pause to doubt. Real doubt. R MF is just way too timid. She needs to get vicious. It's funny - to start the season, L MF was just as timid as this girl. But L MF is deeply coachable, and has become a real force on the team. She's far beyond where she as before. I'm fearing that if I was a real coach, I would bench R MF and put Green full time there. Instead, I'm subtly reducing R MF's minutes because I haven't the guts. Then there is R F. L F was the girl who asked again and again to be a forward, and she's great in the role. But R F is taking such a long time improving............ but I have no one else for the spot. I wish the season was longer to be able to coach these girls.

So, the round of sixteen game is against a tough ass school - always good @ soccer. I know the coach, and he's one of the best. Thursday @ 5.30, our season continues or we go home. Can't wait till Thursday.

J-V game was not the only game in town this day. Word filtered through that just like in May 1999, a game in Catalonia came up beautiful for Manchester United. They will play in the Champions League Final 21 May. And, like in 1999, I think I will somehow skip out of school a little early for this one. Wow. Can't wait. And during our game, we got the good news that the Varsity also won their first playoff game (3-0). J-V will have a short practice to-morrow and then I will go to varsity game. Agiain - can't wait.

No comments: