17 December, 2010

organicwatch

The soccer program I'm involved in is a real good thing - why even tho' I haven't taught @ the school since 2006 I'm still one of the coaches. Getting kids to play sports while they are young - especially girls - is a great thing (please note parents and someday parents)- having them involved in a on a team makes the rewards even greater - physically, mentally, spiritually, etc ... rewards verifiable and obvious. And whenthey are city kids, w. all the stresses that encompasses...

However, we - kids and the coaches - are just humans. Food is a concern - the coaches LOVE Macdonalds. Lovve it. We have it all th time, and we treat the kids to Macdonalds after Saturday games. Some of my favourite memories are there - that 2009 group playoff win over raF? Gloriously did I buy #1's or whatever my girls wanted @ the Mac's on Lincoln and 4900n. Beat a freshman boys team this Eall? Macs. Hey hey hey - going to practice, this Fall, practically every day going in I got a $1 Coke and a $1 Mcdouble. gotta have stomach full so I wont hurt during practice.

Arriving @ practice one random day this Fall and offhandedly telling fellow coach Pito "God I eat too much Macs" and he verifying "I know, I know.". So, I realise we should be making better role models for our kids, rather than opining on Macs.

So, saw "Food Inc." this week. Didnt horrify me so much as to the horrid quality of food served in America - I really kinda knew that, obviously. But in terms of "Hey, this is an arena where you can fight the power, Hilts", it has resonated inside me. So, slowly, I'll start to check out organic stuff - I'll go slow. I know - Im just so cheap. But I will.

And the greater response from inside me centers around the garden. The last two years the garden has been cheap. Pumping out tomatoes, etc - but @ 30% of were it should be. One of the suggestions for 'saving the planet' was to use yr on garden. So, tis spring, it will be expanded by another footinto the grass - and I will get double crops out of it.

However another problem. We compost so much stuff - egg shells, tea bags, coffee grinds, veggie stuff left over, etc ... and Im sure it is plumped full of nonorganic fertilizers from before. Also, I always bought a few bags of 'manure' - but now realise that, like the compost, it's probly full of antibotics etc etc etc.. So, what to do? Organic compost, obv. - but what about our cherished family composting? What to do?

Well, finally, thinking on the matter.

No comments: