19 December, 2010

card gone

Taken away from me at the library was the library card i'd had since 2005 - Gf had made it for me. I had not has a lib. card since 1991 - the original Bolo had chewed through a library book on Japanease baseball I had. Since I was penniless in those days, I couldnt pay for the book.

Fast forward to 2005, when I met her working at her library. When we were start to get chummy, I'd sometimes hang around the front desk. I asked her finally, to look me up - an lo' - no trace of me in the system. She made me a new card on the spot - finally writing my name w. a marker on it.

You know. Kinda sentimental. Little bit. Always loved that card. But today i got something from Mt. greenwood Library and the librarian there couldn't get the machine to read the fading bar code on it. She took my card away- despite my asking for it - and I had to stand there, suddenly being overwhelmed by very deep and ever deepening saddness, as she made me a new card. I was watching my old card laying there out of reach.

I said thanks and smiled. Walked out the door into the night. Alone on the street, I could express my saddness a little more openly.

I know. She's a long time ago, now. But I am a bit sentimental. Plus there's that weepiness that seems to come easy to me at times. I know - not a good thing.

No comments: