12 September, 2008

Written after rocking to "Hold my Hand" in the morning drive.

I'm a bit of an actor, i'll totally cop to that. I fully understand that even if the town im in is totally deserted, I'm still gonna walk down the street like the World Cup final TV audience is watching me. That old Wilde quote, along the lines of "I put my talent into my work, but I put my genius into my life" (or similar), sorta shines through, in my mind.

But, this post is not Wildian, it's about Hootie and the Blowfish. In being one of three punk rockers in my HS (no fashionisto was I - just the music), I knew that I was listening to shit the other century plus of folk had never heard of. hey, I knew i was kool - why pander lifes complexities when the leather runs smmoth on the passenger seat, anyway?

And it goes the other way as well. I remember a time in the basement 'den' of 1207 Morse, (where many of us lived for years, passing the place down until it was scuttled into a condo in the mid 90's): we were rocking to Zepplin, and some sorta stranger/punker exclaimed "You don't actually like this, do you?" My memory glories in the look that Ph.DhistoryKCprof (we got a name for her?? - Cult Women, that was it.) exchanged.

And then that Uptown place we had on Wolcott. Hootie came on - it was "I only wanna be w/ you". It was Hon and I on the couch, and we exchanged the following item: "I like Hootie - not every song, but..." And, of course, it's kool.


Rocky as well. Longtemps ago - when he was 18 - he told me that he thought it was kool that me, a punker, was also a total Stones freak, beatles freak, etc etc etc... I also like the fact that i pointed out to him that, well, i kinda associated him witht The Who, so what y talking about?

And the Spice girls. That first moment - yes, prefabricated - I heard "Wannabe", i fell for them. Not many other good songs do they have - but I do have seveal of their LP's. So what ya think about that.

Ok, sorry for all the usual Hiltsian self aggrendisement on how real fucking kool I am. We know through the experience of Bloom that we are all superheros. And sometimes superheros need pop music. This Ahab of a Bloom suerly does.

trust me. i'm so kool.

No comments: