22 September, 2008

football, soccer, and baseball / the wkd in sports

Pity poor gf. Waves of sports are hitting my shores, and somewise i gotta catch each wave.

Friday after school I dashed out to my hood to take in my old school's soccer team play. I understand that to getmeself readied up in total, i need to hang out w/ the coaching staff I used to coach with. I'm not nervous about being the top guy @ my school this year, but I also know that now that i am actively looking - instead of absorbing the lessons gradually - to upgrade my coaching abilities, the re immersion will do me and my teams fine.

They played near my hood - @ the Oak Lawn complex rite behind Christ hospital - and both games were played @ once. It used to be first varsity-then J-V- but this year they seem to be paying both games @ once. Big Change.

It was to the St. Rita game next. Played Mt. Carmel. I had to dash up Belmontbound and swung around real quicklike - almost one fluid motion, w/ the Sox win playing out on-air - and steamed back to 79th and Western to make it to the football game @ halftime.

There was a huge setup to this years rivalry - they have been playing since 1924, i think. Mt. Carmel had gone 18-3 in the last 21 games between the two - but make it 18-4 now. It seems that these days rita beats carmel only once every 7 years or so (Rita beat them always when I was growing up, but times change), so it was a kool atmosphere. There were 12,ooo fans there - never had that stadium been so surrounded by fans - it was on t.v., and --kinda embarrassingly -the schools rang the bells after the win. Well, it got a laugh outta me.

Saturday was losses by the Irish and the Sox. There was also to be freshman soccer game from my old school - it was scheduled for 10am @ 31st and somewhere east (like, as in east of State street - some unknown place for me...), but when I called up Pito for the directions, he told me that there was only 10m left - oh, sorry, I didn't tell you it was @ 9am??

And Sunday was pretty loppy bad. went to the Fire game, and they lost 4-1. Ouch. Watched the Bears before going into the Fire game, and they were winning. But the transistor radio gave me that overtime loss.

Oh, and the magic # was cut to 5. Alone good amongst the sporting news of the day.


No comments: