17 September, 2008

On being Winters

As I've broadcast, I am -and deeply excited, and deeply scared - the new head of the Girls Soccer Program*. Lots of work, but much less than Winters had to do. So, I'm trying to get as much stuff done now - in so many different ways - to get ready and feel like I am ready.


So - I have written before how I am pulling each girl aside from last year and giving her instructions: Are you coming back? Are you in any other sport. Yes, I am the head coach. Are you looking for good girls in yr gym classes? Saw Chiva. Yes, Y are my goalie this year. Saw Green Shoes and told her that I am planning for NEXT YEAR in regards to her - Since Chiva is a senior, I will need agoalie the next two years. I have told two that they are to be promoted to varsity.

Each time I have a freshman class in the library, or I am subbing for a freshman class, I tell each group about the team. I feel this is very important: to get to the kids early and put the idea of soccer in their heads. It's a spring sport and I am afraid the other sports will beat me to the best girls. I try to make a real energetic sell to them. I'm doing well so far.

I am also trying to prepare the girls for the season. My old schools had the teams training in the off season. My second hs team played twice a week after the season from 3-6 pm. Those were the days I strip off y shirt and totally take my shifts on the floor, playing w/ 14-18 yr old mexican kids. They aere so much better than I, but I was never a better athlete or soccer player than the mid to late 90's**. @ my last school, it was far more serious - beginnig in November, we'd have the girls starting to play 3x a week after school off season, and 5x a week from the week before xmas to whenever we were eliminated from the playoffs. Itw as alway important to get these city public school kids playing whenevr we could - All those suburban white schools are gigantically good, and we have to do so much to play thos teams and only lose, say 9-1. Some of y may remember that Neice #1 as a really good hs player - her teams would have beaten us 15-0. So, we have a lot of work, and I want to make sure that these city kids are being lionized as soccder players and young adults as much as any of the New Trier, Marist, or Sandburg kids. More, in fact.

So, I have been talking to everyone who can help me. In the last week, I have returned to my old school in order to - now, for the first time as boss - to gather in all thier wisdom. I ask and observe. And the great thing is, they know my situation and are excited for me - They are giving me all sorts of info and insite - and I need it all. So, last week I went to a game for the fist time this year - Fuicking hell, they beat Mt. carmel 3-1 (!!!) and I believe Iw illbe there till the end of the season. Not really coachoing, but all are familier to me,- so in yesterdays J-V game wheich i showed up, I did do a little talking during halftime.

I have continually gone to La Fleur in the PE dept to try and get guidence. They like that someone has taken in interest in the soccer program. I want to duplicate the programs I have been in, but realise that I am new. So, first item is to make sure the girls kno i am incharge. Not that it's self aggrandisement, but I want them to know that i intend to be a force. Second thing I am working on. I really want a gym to get the girls in so they can play maybe 2 nites a week for 2h. But I cannot get the gym for anyhting more than a token few days. I'll take it, but need to get the girls playing more, and NOW. So, I have to try and find another gym to get them time (Chicago winters are out, so no outdoor), but it's gonna be tough. It will take time to make this program into what I more envision(sic) it.

And then there is the problem of girls dropping out. I will amidt that I had tough plans for the goalie situation, but the regualr goalie for th last two years has left the school. I wanted an upgrade in that position - and how hard would it have been to say "I'm replacing you w/ thre J-V goalie". But it would have neded to have been done. Then my first choice replacement for her said she was quitting (but I had last years JV golaie in mind) - and then today told me she will probably be back. In my mind, i thknk i will have her on the field and 2d string varsity goalie. I'm real glad she's back. I have already told Green shoes -a soph - that she is to be made into a goalie for the future - and blessed kid that she is, she of course accepted my plans for her. But I am alsp losing two players - one that will be terrible to do w/out - to Mexican dansing class in the spring. I will have to go after them and pester them to rejoin.

AS a last aside, I will say that ......here come Hilts the Messiah - it is my duty to be their coach. If you read Securityout last season, you knew I loved that team. But:

I also know that the human currency in this school - 3,500 kids, Very Very Very Mexican-American (in the city, mainly the best teams (boys and girls) are generally the Mexican schools (best suburban schools generally are white, except for the occasional Morton etc etc etc...), and a funky ass school. Plus I'm tired of it always being -in girls soccer - the same white dominated teams in the public schools - Whitney Young, Payton, Northside - you w/ kids and live on the northside all know these schools, I'm tickled to find out - I want the Southside to have a dominant female soccer team again, farragut nonwithstanding. And, @ this school - although there are MUCHMUCHMUCH better coaches than me out there - I believe I am in a position to make this school a soccer great. Girls soccer. My plate is full rite now.

Much more later on the soccer thing - if yr sick of it already, then be glad I stopped here and did not continue for another 2-3 pages...... MOre later


..............................................

*=do note how I pompos-ed my title. hey, it's worth $2,400, but it's not all that glorified. Except when someone yells "Coach" in the crowded halls, or upon visiting my old team they flock to say hello and ask "Are you coming to-morrow?" It's so good to feel lots of love.
**=I'm old now and rarely play in the scrimmiges - funny, I'm the boss and I do what I want in practice, so if i'm tired, I don't play, but I insert myself into the game when ever I want.

No comments: