09 January, 2007

In praise of suet

So, my backyard has fully been outed by the Monk Parakeets in the 'hood. I have a suet feeder up that these birds love, so I've been getting them a lot the last few months. Saturday was high tide, as 14 were in the yard eating or waiting their turn (previous hi was eight). Pretty birds, and freaky to see them in a Chicago Jan. The suet feeder (a little metalcage with animal fat and seeds in it) is also a favourite wit the 'hood woodpeackers. Well, I get a Downy woodpecker every few days. Lastly, my tongue in cheek favourites, the Starlings, also feed off of the suet. They can clean out one suet feeder in a day in the summer, so I do not have it out in that season. However, for winter they do not eat it that much, so i can change it every 5-6 days or so (they cost about $1). Finally, cardinalas cardnilas will also eat off it when its regular feeder is out of food. That's the Cardinal, by the way.
Next bird update:
Rock Doves.

No comments: