27 January, 2007

Doubt

Lik'ums to go to good plays, and was well rewarded w/ my all out effort to go to see "Doubt". Unless its a House Company production, i usually read a few reviews of a play and think "GOTTA GOTTA GO !!!" and three weeks later I'll think "WHY DIDN'T I GO?". Not this time. Gf and I got there Sat. nite, and the tix only cost $21 apiece. (((aside= ive noticed i'm blogging the prices of just about everything when i get a deal.................i'm so cheap !!))). And we got there on time, and w/out having to pay for pkg. !!! .

Sat in the faux Comisky Park 1991-2004 type upper deck @ La Salle Bank Theatre. WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY up, but could see and hear. Well, hearing could be a problem when there was laughter followed closely by another line, but it was fine. Doubt centers around a nun who has 'no doubt' about an alleged abuse by a priest. I liked the priest a lot, he was my favourite character. The top nun was suberb as well (Cherry jones, a top theatre person). I must admidt that a big attraction to going to theatre, for this sexist, is to enjoy..............females. Not a factor in this play. Too far away to bask in ultimate beauty, and they girls were wrapped up in nuns-stuff. But the play charged me nontheless.

A thing about this play is that people debate about guilt/innocence after its over. Did I have doubt? No, the priest was innocent. I believed him. Gf, however, was all like, y'know, the priest is guilty. So, what does that say about me?
Loved the play, but it did not crack the List of Most Perfect Plays I have ever seen.
1. Terrible Tradegy of Peter Pan('02)
2.Lula ('06)
3.Amongst the Thugs('oo)
I liked Rent a lot as well.

No comments: