24 November, 2008

Hamdard - Saturday the Nite

I as worried about fatigue and making it on time to Hamdard on this Saturday, but Spong ended on time, I did not stay to say hello - just a few snaps - and steamed in nice time back to Gf's. Plenty of time to radio Matt Jenke and obsess - I mean, obsess, as it's my new thing (it won't last long, and explanations will follow - the mountaineering stuff I'm talking about), about Everest and stuff.

Although it was 30m after the promised start time, we got there @ 1830h -in the middle of mxers. s usual, it was a crowded mess - the doors of the dinner hall were not open and we welled amid passed about chicken dippers, drinx available @ a bar, and lots nand lots of people. Two of the evenings three biggest hosts were there - E and Jackson - as well as Patience and Crankface, Rocky, Bonnaix, Book'm and spouse, plus Gf and I. We sat @ a table w/ Jackson - E sat @ another table and Bonnaix yet another still. This was a way of spreading out the main hosts @ the fundraiser so that a maximum amount of people would be , well, hosted. It was a funny -phenomonom to watch. Jackson, for one, spoke to everyone in the hall - there were 700 people. Tis would be very hard for me. Jackson's dad, who started Hamdard w/ Jackson's mom, also was in full 'handshaking' mode - I asked him about it and he said that "Well, this is the business that we are in." The best time was when a girl dropped by the table when we were eating to say hello - when jackson found out that her mom and sister andd whoever was sitting back @ their table, he asked if he could go over and quickly say hello.

Fuck, I'd never make it in that business.

Kool speakers. Ravi Baachewald of Channel 7 was the M.C. -pure professional. U.S Rep. Roskum, a high Pakistani governemnt official, and others gave speeches (some really kool where we looked around and said - hey, that was kool - and some bibble).


Food - full on Indian goodness - ate'n up yum. Don't ask me to menu you it up - I can't. there was some of that dark brown stuff that's rolled like asusages. Thentherewas rice. then chix. Was it beef off the bone? Also....... wait - the bread - Naan. It was good. Gf and I are to go to the restuaraunt - it's way up on Devon - rite in the middle of the deep Indianess of that area. Writing this hungry makes me want to go now. As always, the meal finished w/ Jackson's Dad's fave dessert - a , uh, white, yummy product of - rice? it's some kick ass custard. I gotta find the names. No fish. Again -for me, this is some of the best Indian fod ever.

We hung out a long time. I was pretty silent, but everyone else talked and i nodded. There was arun on bubble gum - one of the guys @ our tsble is a Wrigley official, and so he always brings gum and sundry products from that corporation. last year i got a lot of spearment mints. Tis year? Lots of fruity gum. I got a load, and then Gf wanted a share, so I got more.

We wandered the area. There were no weddings there this year upstairs - in years past we'd always sneak in and enjoy for a bit before being passers by. But not this year. People started to break after the meal, but Gf and I stayed till 2330h. Some last of the famous Chai - wouch a wallop of that stuff - I couldn't down more than droplings before losing it.

We had a nice drive home. Funtime nite. Always nice to dress up, mix w/ lots of people, most who we don't know - but @ the same time be hanging w/ lots of homeboys - eat fine ass meal -

All told - good ass day.

No comments: