12 November, 2008

on the idea of an indoor team

So, me by my lonesome, trying to fill the aircraftcarrier sized shoes of responsibility that being an ambitious soccer coach entails, has run into a failure on my part: an indoor team. I'd written before about me wanting to totally change the culture of the soccer program @ this school. In my tour of city soccer programs, I've run across many ways of getting the teams involved. My nieces played @ a Catholic school- a good program. Their kids play off season on specially coached teams - the year round they do. To have a good program, the kids just gotta play. And I want to do something w/ this program. So - lotta work, and it's me and only me w/ the pick trying to start a foundation. And it's hard.

We, in the city, generally have to really be creative for the kids. The last two schools I coached @ they had the system in place - nothing high tech, just generally the kids playing on a basketball court. It was fun - I've written before about the best non track in high school shape I've been in was playing a full shifts -v- 17yr old Mexican kids going toe to toe. It was 3-3, first goal wins, 3m w/ no score teams switch. i had many glorious afternoons, and I pine for that feeling of long lost team membership to-getherness when the moon strikes sometimes. I loved my days there. And the last school I was @ - same thing. We had the kids going almost full time in the 2weeks before xmas. We never got every kid there, but it was a joy to have dedicated kids believing in us and making it to practice day after day.

But this school - it's befit of all available gyms. Until our season is upon us, we have nothing available to play in. I have been trying to get stuff done outdoors while the weather holds - we have a funtime scrimmage to-morrow during parent-teacher conference night, and which I've bribed them w/ pizza afterwards- but w/out a solid place to play day after day - well, maybe twice a week @ this point - it's hard to carry consistency and get these girls in shape.

And I have to admit what I feel is a grand failure on my part. Without that open basketball gym @ my school or any of the near parks - our hope was to get the girls started on an indoor team playing @ one of the indoor arenas that are blossoming all over the place. But that takes lotsa cash which the girls would have to come up w/ themselves. A team @ Chitown Soccer would cost each girl somewhere like $100 for 2 1/2 m, and then another $100 for the second 2 1/2 m. The girls @ Nequa Valley, New Trier, and Marist H.S. - I'm sure it's easy enough for the parents to cover. But not so w/ my girls. they work, come from real working class families, and some are, well, poor. W/out an open gym, havoc is across my team for a suitable pace to play. There is no way i can dictate that "You have to Play!!", as it would be impossible for many to afford it. So, I publicized it, talked to lots of people to try and get the best fit, went back and forth - and finally admitted to myself that there will not be an indoor team for us -this year.

I'd been totally open to the girls when we had our first meeting w/ me as Ahab - "This is my first time running it all, and I will make mistakes and not do everything right." I will say that I feel I let the girls down - or @ least their expectations a bit - by not producing an indoor team.

It's not going supersmooth right now - but @ least we are way ahead of where we were last year. I want each of my girls have it all - and I want to make it alla vailable to them - but again, every other school i worked @ had it all in place already when i coached there. here- i gotta set it ALL UP.

Again - as i've told the girls, I will not get it all right @ the beginning. But I've also told them that when it comes time for their daughters to be @ my school and on my team - and I have told them this - THEN it will be all inplace. It's a long road. the single step and all that...

Exciting. Scarey. and, yes, I'll get it done.

No comments: