27 December, 2006

xmas day

Went to gfs family on Xmas

There were tonnes of adults and two small kids. There was a train set that made it easy to play with the kids, as well as being kool for me to play. Lots of good stuff to eat. We were there a long time ("first is to last as come is to go") but i had time to myseld to finish the front sectionof the NYT. That made me happy. Yes, rude. Made myself the duty of erecting the train set in the lib. this xmas season, so I had a bit of interest in this more expensive one. Ran round a track. No special heights, etc... Looked nice metallic, diff. from the plastic goodness I had running in the lib. But made it an easy toy to pay with the kids. Next day got me to thinking about children and specfically play. (I know, yet another rumination on children ? Is this the Oprah Blog ?).
Whenever I am around kids for any lenght of time, I notice I invariably start playing with them. Made me think about it, and came up with following thoughts. When sisters first had kids, the first duty of all adults was "force protection". Everything went into the safty of the children. For example, due to our families cheapness, we had never had air conditioning, but the minute the first kid was born, we got air to insure a comfortable house for visits/babysitting. Plus, the kids must be watched, by multiple adults, @ all times. Everything must be made safe. to this day, I am made nervous by open toilet seats in childrens houses, fearing a child may fall in. So first deal was always protection.
The second thing on the hierarchy of needs was simple play/interaction. However, what I think I recognize, @ least in my play and maybe my families play and maybe just inherent in all play: the importantance in interacting with the kids to take some of the pressure off of the parent. I recognize parenting as an immensily hard job (the hardest), and people need breaks. Breaks means refreshed parents who can be then more attentive to the child.
The third thing on the hierarchy of needs is higher order play/thinking. Play with them to make them stronger in higher order thinking skills. Talking and setting an example are important here.
I totally get into the "It takes a village" concept, being taught it by example. My nephews and neices always had the gaggle of adults hovering about: they still do. It has gotta be genetic. Funny how that stuff works. I was most interested in my thoughts about "adults/kid interaction in play" in the regenrative component of the thoery. At least it seems that there is a sense of 'duty' with me whenever I'm around kids. Kids can wear one out so quick, and i'm the laziest person bar none. Hmmmmm, haven't we covered this already in anothe post??

No comments: