24 December, 2009

Wednesday / to Munsons

Switchover day. Darwinas P and M were coming up from LA for xmas, so I switched camps from Vito and Darwinas to Munson Wu's. Typical morning - cafe, read a bit on teaching writing, and off to do errands w. Vito. Untypical was washing clothes and packing then when dry. Then breakfast - another of darwinas P.HD.s frenz were over and we were detailed to collect famous chicken sandwich place to eat the chicken sandwiches that led people to line up around the corner for the famous chicken sandwiches. Took a call from Gallo. Stood in line - and since it was Wednesday, I grabbed copies of SF Weekly and East BAy Weekly (Reader type magazines) to pour over. So, we got the chicken sandwiches and raced back to the crib to eat. Four of us chowed down - famous chicken sandwiches were alritegood. Massive sandwich - so hungry gobbled down in mere minutes. Good company - Darwina's friend was chill- liked her, but not in the panting so bad style. yes, I can appreciate woman in different levels.

More errands - and later to a new part of Oakland. First to downtown oakland and a visit to a bookstore. Munson described t perfectly - not an antiquarian bookstore, but the vibe of the place is along those lines. And what a store - if it was 1980, this store would have been hopping - but just much 1975 and 1968 books and the like: and although the books were old and somewhat dispirited - and I walked away w. four (one being Futrell's History of the Air War in Korea - never did i think i'd own a copy of this book). We drive, then to a new place-near a movie theatre, another of those upscale neighbourhoods dotting this area. Fantastic - alight w. people doing last shopping deeds, women, deeply sexy, walking, and even a star citing: former Clinton Secretary of labour Robert Reich. vito spotted him - I woulda been oblivious. I really didn't get anything, but we did stop by a fancy ice cream place - it was an ice cream float for me and a cone for Vito.

Sortied w. the car full of my growing amount of luggage and went to Munsons. In opposition to the situation @ Vitos - where people were coming in for the holiday - his three roommates were all going elsewhere for Xmas. In years past Ive stayed @ Munsons in a separate room all to meself - but since there are three roomies for him now, i slept in the computer/stereo room. Fine by me. Although its a cold house, I came augmented - Vito lent me a sleeping bag that was beyond warm. Fine by me. Every once in awhile I get to sleep in a room of my own - remember, I sleep in the laundry room @ home. Anyway, I pitched tent, arraigned things, and felt @ home.

Munson is a peculiar man. Very strange - but if you know him, not. Hey - were all strange. But 'some girls are bigger than others' - and he can be mighty peculiar. And - this is why he is loved - his decision making is one of them. Well, it wasn't so strange - he just wanted to get his pecularness forward.

Our first decision was to make a choice about where to eat. Me- creature d'habit - wanted to eat @ a Chhinese shop where Munson, Drax and I ate 5 years ago. All I remember was it was @ the bottom of a hill and we three had a good time. However, we had no clue where it was - and Munson instead directed us to a drive around downtown Oakland (the EXACT streets where I had so much trouble the nite before) looking for the place. No, not here, no not there - I suspected that he was just steering us to a place he knew to be good - and, well, I figured it out and let him. I'm needing to do things different - and the thought that a Chinese-American dude who grew up in the area and has taste - well, maybe trust the guy to deliver the goods. He did.

Since i loved the Mongolian Beef that i'd had a few days before, I was wanting the same. Glad I trusted Munson. The new palce was great (called, btw, "Joy Luck" for future reference). I was certain he'd remember the place where we ate years ago - but he didnt. It had he vibe of a place where locals go- no tourists - and came complete w. tanks of fish ready to be eaten. tea wonderful. So, as Munson stated, I now have the name of this place - I can return.

We had another stop before i took up temp. residence @ munsons - a movie decision. I wantd to get some flix to chill w. and he openly stated that there were only 4-5 movies a year that he enjoys, and anything I choose would most likely not to his liking. Tuff chice, but i told him Im pretty mallable and that there are literally hundreds of films I could see and enjoy. So, after chinese we went to some giant video store. Im so used to getting movies through the Chicago Public Library these days - havent set foor in a video store in a few years now. GIANT store, w. every movie ever. Lots of chix. Spent about 30-45m walking the place, and he returned not w. one film, but w. three - I could choose. We got two - after saying he hated Keanu, he allowed me to get "The day the world stood still". He also choose a terrible film about two boys.

It was late by now. But we watched "stood still" - not very good. sleep late into the morning.

No comments: