21 December, 2009

Monday

Morning
Did things like wake and showered and Darwina showed me how to make the cafe 'communist' style (not a giant 12 cup drip which the last 20 years has accustomed me to - this was a 'grind the beans, pour in the hot water, slowly push this device down into the cruched cafe beans, etc etc etc... even to use a towel to keep the stuff warm while you drink the stuff you just poured - really kool to learn)in the morning.

Vito was on a work tilt this day, and the plans were to go to Berkley and shop for books - every time I am here a cherished activity.I walked meself to downtown Oakland - beautiful place, btw, w. tonnes of great and gorgeous buildings - and took the bus - the wrong bus, tho' thankfully wrong only by degrees and not total directions - towards Berkley. Seems I took one that generally went in the rite direction, just angled away. I was originally told 'maybe this buses 'd be best for this trip', and when I got to talking to Munson he told me different was better. However, that first bus line # was imprinted on my brain, so much so that when I got ot he correct busstop and the imprinted bus# rolled up, I happily jumped aboard. It was 20m i I realised my mistake - outhopped and hiked the 3/4m to Munsons.Chilled for a bit. Nice to be back here - last two times in San Francisco area this was my temphome.

Moes et Al
We took Munsons truck into town. He's rather proud of his vechicle - a white pickup truck he's had for 18years. He wants to keep it forwever- you can do things like that in California (no salt in winter) and he will, knowing him. It was ashort drive, and out we went. First stop a as pot of food. Up and down we walked, me brainbugged about getting one of this wonderful California bugers fro some of the famous chains they have here - Cals was the one I wanted after a chance Darwina remark about their tastiness. Instead, we went into a healthy burger type place - fulled w. tourists - and filled on fries, burger, and Coke (trying to cut it down, finally). I've eated there before and enjoyed it - did so again.

Moes was first, and got a few books. Wanted to get more, but realised that i could return. A book on German civilians during the ww2, 1968 by the author of Cod (not Salt as I originally planned to purchase). I also saw that Bobby Sands book and In Hazrd- but too high a price. Again, can come back. Moes was just glorious. I love this place. Hugh four story building, filled w. varying books. Mainly hung in the history section - military history, excuse me - but let myeyes wander over others - irish, France, political (Thom Hartmann is being targeted, as well as Michael Parenti), and novels (In Hazard and, tho' ive read it, Fever Pitch - something about wanting to physically have the book I've read. I spent too much time there, and worried about the truck - it had a two hour timespace to be legally parked, and in between eating and meandering @ Moes, the 2h was probably up. So, relucantly, I went downstairs to purchase. Munson located- I wanted the guy to page but instead he shouted "MUNSON!!". Shapspeare and Compay was across the street, and tho' it's a B-10 to Moe's B-29idness, I always get stuff from there as well. AMong the Dead Cities, about the morality of bombing civilians in WW2, was added. Started to worry - as i always do - about the sheer weight of books Im gonna be hauling back to Chicago. Well,nows not the time ..... later.

And a hat. Years ago on another trip to Clifornia the trunk of the car we were driving was broken into and among things lost was my avourite hat of all time. II'd found it on the El one day in Chicago, and although I fell knew that it was a womans hat, I also realised that it was fun and fairly unique for me to wear. Lost, howver, to SF thevies. That trip I needed another hat, and went into the Berkely Hat Company to try to finmd a replacement. My prized lost hat had turned out to be unique - @ least to this point - and Ive never been able to reproduce its glory anywhere. But that trip the hat I bought to replace my lost hat has turned out to ave afamous enough perigree of time speant on my head - and so I now prize it heavy. No, never was able to replace the original - but it's a nice second. SO, 10y after I went into the place Munson and i go again - to try and get copies of the hat for my nephew. Again, no go - the second hat's design is now lost to time (I need to keep a good reign o it so second hat doesnt get lost - i did misplace it for 2d @ Vito and Drawinas). But, inevitably, i got another black winter hat. $18. Womans design, gotta be. I wonderv- in 10y time will I return, to this hat store, looking for a copy of Third Hat? Time will tell.

We had a quickstop @ Norman Village - wait, what village called? It's a bizzare collection of condos dabsmacked in Berkley wher all the house look like - well, a modern version of Norman Village. Munson drove up a small winding lane, hard to get through, and we sited the buildings. Nite was fullon, so sites wer not able to be brightly illuminated - but again a different sorta place. I'm not sure of the history of the place.

BAck to Munsons to chill. Rocky's Lover from a bit back was there visiting- her son and his girlfriend live there. It wa snice to see her - Ive spent a bit of time hanin gout w/ her when I stayed w. Rocky in Sabnta Cruz in years past. The son Rex Immediately wanted to know about Roxx and um, well, rite in front of the old Lover? I didnt stay too -I'd be back staying @ Munsons before long - so he dropped me off @ the BART stop and back to Oakland I went.

Pizza dinner
There were plans to stop again and get most delicious pizza thatw e'd eaten on Friday. Asmall hole in the wall, but super great. I walked nother of Lake Merrit this time and .....well, got real worried bacuse it seems i was lostw =and would never get to the place. wandered a lot - a real lot - but I was on The Track afterall. I get worried when I start to meander and it's nite and Im sorta lost - but this nit it finally worked out. I kinda stayed w. familier walking areas an dused the interanl compass - and lo, there I was. Our planned strategam was for me to get there, feign like I didnt know what we wanted to order, and then ask to use their fone so Vito knew I was close and could collect me. A Charm. And, again, best was the three of us munching on the good stuff. Sate. Stomachs. Hope to return @ least one more time before I have to go.

No comments: