21 July, 2009

Sunday the Pitchfork : "C'm'on"

Sad day, slipping by, seems all is slipping by, but nicely done way to slippin away bye bye. More of what happened the past few days - frenz found, easily rather, blankets and chairs under smallish trees - both rain and shine proofers, music listened to and enjoyed, eatings and drinkings, walkabouts, bittle little children - but not so ittybitty as 'aust 'ears Pitchfork, on fixture figures gazed fully usually, and music.

This Sunday was to be sentered around the Vivian Girls and Grizzly Bear w/ a helping of Flaming Lips - but it was the helping that was best overall. Got there 'bout 3, immediately found mes amis under the little trees, and hung. Was sitting w/ frenz when grizzly bear came on. Now, I really like their one very famous song - but blanx beyond that. When they came on, they went into the song - pretty soft, intricate, hushes important sorta style - here is this song, via someone else, ut in half, sorry:






Beautiful, huh, despite the terrible footage? I loved it, and totally got into it. But successive songs lacked - mita been the afternoon outdoor setting, my natural tiredness, or theirlack - but after four songs or so, I moved back to the frenz section.

Vivian Girls were next up. They were playig @ the small stage, and I as able to get up a lot closer to see the. I loved one song by them, Where do you run - Big John had put it on a mix cd in December and that was the best song on it - and really wanted to hear it - but it was never to be. They played a nice set - but it is obvious that that is their best song over all. Too bad. However, theyw ere good to see. they sounded good, and the bassist was even more exciting to , um, watch on stage. Here - someone elses, too:





one thing about both groups - the big open outdoor stage was seemingly a difficult transition fromthe smaller stages they typically play(I know they've played other fests, too). id like to see both bands again in a smaller place.

And then there was Flaming Lips.

I'd seen them in the 90's - they opened for some old band or other, maybe twice - in the sorta smallish arena that i've just said id like to see Vivian Girls and Grizzly Bear in. And I dont remember those shows. Bput Flaming Lipps in a giant crowd - and theyre GREAT. How did that happen? I'd read over the years about their live shows, the special character of them, the fan following - but paid no mind. So, I stuck around just to watch the last show of the weekend - and was amply amped after. Eyes opened.

Eyes opened by many things. So depraved I am, but ist gut so. Flamping lipps are famouse fo inviting fans onstage in costume - and lucky my eyes, because one of the sets of costumes tonite were skimpy little outfits for the girls on one side of the stage. Me, w/out a good sit of them, realised that if im to get a view of them, I'd have to close the stage immediately. So, droped off frenz and came up on near the dansers - but dehind them. i needed to see their fronts!! So, immediatelt I had to make a total cirrcut of the giant crowd and come up on the other side of the stage- but here, a clear view of wonderful skimply attaired beauty. My ten minute march and counter march had won me this skirmish.

My favourite song, Im embarrassed to amidt since its so popular, is actually "Jelly". Silly song, but the band ca be silly - it gave the ok, and the band rocked hard enough to commission that silliness. I'd forgottn for so long what a great song 'tis. here:




and then there was the last song:




Closer to a great weekend. A lot of talk of love in the air, from the stage and other. After the show ended, the remaints of our lilttle group remet @ the fall back position. Good. We slowly packed up. We said our goodbyes as each left. i was pretty depressed - deeply, actually - and the goodbyes had a real melancholy air about them. @ last, @ least in my corner, it was William Randolh Heurst and I - south towards the bike park where his was, our paths finally diverged w/ a hug and "Soon" - and I had to mopecrawldragshuffle to the Strasser - and set sail south.
If I was the Whermacht 'round about now this context seems to be playingout in my life. Sad as it was, ending to the shows was ok. Reentry outta pretend park sorta mindset not looked forward to as i trudged.

No comments: