21 July, 2009

Klas later that nite

Klas calling. Pithfork's interest for us this nite collectively faded 'round 7pm, and I walked to my familier pkg space and then Eisenhauered out west to Klas on 22d in Berwyn. At this poin, I knew i wasn't going to go onstage. I had tried to plan a big skit and music filled prformance akin to last years - and it as real fucking hard to come up w. ideas - until the last month or so forced me to come up with ideas as the immenance of the event drew hyper close. But life and my spirit disallowed me to follw this plan - or plans - and eventually I decided to reuse a song id done lasy year but never done onnstage - "hijingle" and a skit of a presidential news confernce. But further life and spirit problems eventually convinced myself to cancel all events by me. Part of this miserable month and several months before have drained all of th idependent action out of me. I would go - but couldnt perform.

Klas was nice. There were a lot more people there this year - more strangers and more strange bands. this is a good thing - plenty of my frenz showed up, and I think its always a sgood thing for different people to mixx. The outdoor space, w. the Hen and Eddie Curry's Favourites 45ing and 33 1/3rding music out to us relaxing masses outdoor patio enjoy the kool weather and chill w. frenz and a drink. Klas is such a key space.

Bands?? Silly Joel were new and unknown to me. Weightmen - great. Magik Lasso - finally performing after cancelling last year. And then there was me ...

The frist deal was of course the depression. it'd scuttled any chance of anything resembling last years performancce of the Battle of the Denmarck Strait, as noted above. Instead of 25m of sevral distinct skits swen to-gether a la lastyear - I was down to a single song. I just wasn't able to mobilize myself @ all. Then Chemical Man - who was supposed to drum - begged out for family reasons. All rasons not to play. But when I got to klas, I simmered down. again, close embrase of frenz helped. But maybe the manic cycle that can run in me switched back to "up" - as ".stress Dreadloxx Yessica" pointed out. So, the miserable deression gave way to hapy mania upedness - just in time, really.

The second deal was the deal about the main stage. Last year I was granted some space @ the beginning of the whole show. I loved it, and made a fool of myself for 25m. But some, understandablity, were a little, you know, appreciative of the show but mindful it could give offence to others. So, this year, instead of main stage, Iw as given a room of my own. At first, i spent a lot of energy devising ways to disobey - i had ideas - but in the end the attempt to put on a show - let alone a show displaying disobedience - were felled by my spirits. And, as it turned out, on the day of the show the fact that on of the organizers had an important cliet - and didnt want him shocked - was cool.

Until, you know, the mania thing...

Gf came, she was a welcome site. Peole sent me love and "cant waits" for my act - I felt bad I was gonna let them down. And my spirit returned. So I decided to scale down my act to a sinlgle song and made it ok in my mnd so that It would be easy to get through. I was gonna go. I needed a drummer - and when i asked Liz, she immediately said Yes. She's very kool - I loved her immediate assent when she realised what i was asking for. Since she is a real drumer, the sound of her smashing and snares and cymbols and all i knew would improve my vocal gymnastics. So - it was a go.

And then a mishap happened - Processed's left handed bass blew, and a new left hannded bass - a 32m return trip away - was needed. So, suddenly my sloppin about onstage could be givena good directive - waste time! - and lotsa pressure for whatever reason went away. So, there were two parts of the Battle of the Denmarck's act in Klas3 - the 'guilt' part, mainly adlibbed -and the song. The guilt part went well - how could it not? Plus that lovely experience as a teacher kicked in. Rite quickly, since I'd step up from the microphone and run into the audience to adress them directly - the crowd went quiet. Since I knew that a quiet audience was paying attention audience - I got lots confidence and just went forward. Kool.

The song also went well. this is the original, seen her before. Yes, offensive.

Had to teach Liz the very basic parts - but really, if it fucked up, no one wold notice. To rotct myself further than just having Liz beind me - I masked up my face and made sure it was as silly as possible. Went well, and even though plans for klas3 were huge, ill take thhis years results as ok.

Hung a long time. Walked out w/ Gf and went home.

2 comments:

Lazers said...

I'm sad that Klas coincided with Pitchfork, with me thus missing a live performance of "High Jingle"- I would have loved to have seen it.

Hilts said...

ill do it again ... wait for it ....