20 July, 2009

Pitchfork on a Friday / 2009

Well, in the midst of my mal summer, up popps Pitchfork music fest all weekend. Sumptous linuups each day - but especially this first day. And it was Jesus Lizard that carried the day - indeed, won the entire weekend w/ but some several songs from their set - so powerful the start.

It was a lovely weekend. William Randolph Heurst has a deep connexion = the dude who runs the park where the musicfest is held each year. So = heavvy tonnes of us get guest listed each summer. And this is an added wonderous treat = Pitchfork's whole deal is divinely divine. The line ups are ace, the site is friendly, chill, and imporved each year, the crowds are funky as hell and the chix belle and clothed as well. And given that a bunch of us go each year - more and more adorned, this Young Guard production, with children and children to be. So, a family type squat appears each year on the Saturday and Sunday in the shade of some sunny trees, blankets and chairs and beers and schedules strewn about our temp. home. I've really gotten used to this - come to look foward to it each year. A tonne of us showed u this year - though not everyone each day. So W.R.H. our good shepard and 'host', the Gunners, the Jokers, Smokey Treats, Guitars, Chartman, Chicken Balls, The Vampires, Sister Bex, Dragon, and even Neice.2 for the second year in a row on Friday. Lazers and Graf Spee, two of the soccer coaches from my school, Cousin Namesake, some gil in yellow, and more - never met up w/ Rocky, though. A kool thing we noticed is that where our crowd sits there are others who also come yar after year after year and sit in our general area. Pretty kool.

So - Friday - I was late, and got there after much endless wrangling on the phone and internet trying to secute a ticket for my neice. Got access to Gf's - she didn't go the whole wkd - and gave that to Neice.2 - but another was needed for her friend. eventually Kat clued me in that Big John had an extra - and Joker was arrieing @ 1900h w/ two more. Ticket secured.

Again - maximally late running, missed Tortoise, nicked in for yo La tengo. Sorta. I'd just gotten in and had to say my hallo's to this that and everyone. Find my neice, corral the other peope ... that said, Yo La Tengo sounded sweet. I've always liked them, and always put on a good show.

But there was one band that I ally wanted to see to-nite - The Jesus lizrad. It used to be that they played so often in Chicago (or close, like Dekalb or St. Louis) back in th day that I've seen them 25x or so - but not in the last 11 years, since they havent played in that long. I was worried that outdoor crowd- not sweaty club - would not be the proper atmosphere for this type of show - but whatta ya know??



Two of the three openers were my songs - "Puss" (above, and btw, i love the guys who took the videos chatter when David Yow charges into the crowd to start the song off = "OHHH YYEEAHHH WOOOO!!!" - i felt the same) and "Mouth Breather". And - I have to confess - i wasnt in the crowd watching up close during "Puss". I was on a beer run w/ some of the lads when they came on. Across the park, as that endemically familier riff went up across the place, it was just so easy to move and sway and let go and really just dance wherever I was - well, the beer line, the food courts, the walk back to where peoples were hanging out wathing the show etc etc etc. And dance I did.

Manic day. Deeply down day- yet wild letting go with Jesus Lizard playing. Past few weeks have been pretty terrible. It's all just going, it seems, and with spurs. But again entombed away within the group, excited to see me and have me be there, me feeling the familiel love, allowed to me to be ok for a nite. This nite. But, despite my terrible troubles of peter pan, i loved this nite. In the midst of chaos, I felt lucky, punk.

2 comments:

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

The nice thing about mania is at least there are highs.

Hilts said...

the next day would b the lows