06 August, 2008

Waiting to happen

Gozza's gozza good gost gon accents. Me like. Funny those. Dragon from the South - but does cracker 'ave anysorta "y'all' going on? Nah. And me. I realise that I have a pretty heavy Southside accent - when I want to. I do not slip into it on purpose, but it's been pointed out to me by non southside frenz that it's there.
So I began to notice it. And yes, it's there - talking to ss fenz, in school, intereacting w/ people in the neighbourhoods.
But I also have a black accent. When there are many African Americans in my conversational circle, I'll start dropping "be's"* and all that. Like the Marquette Park this is also not a put on, though far less natural. I love it, and find it very interesting.
And, if y read Spliffes rejoinder, I agree w/ her on her "sweetie "point. Q, an old Love, was mocked by her frenz way back in Fall 1987 when she got on the hone w/ me and went into her "Sweetie" voice that lovers do when they converse. Maybe not an englander accent by Q, but there was abberation in her voice.
.........................................
*=as in, "He be doing that now"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheeeet, I feel ya dog.

Anonymous said...

ole!