01 August, 2008

klas.2.2

Typical of me, I was running around the house trying to get it all to-gether. There were a million little things to take care of. Eventually, I got to Klas, 'though very late. Leave it to me - I'd wanted to get there early and practice the stuff through, but ....... leaving it late.

Chemical man and Processed were there - my main co contributors - and thank God. Instantly, since The Battle of the Denmark Strait were up first - we had to set shit up : get batteries for the keyboards, set up the instant relay TV, put tape down on the floor, try out the mikes, hurriedly conscript Mo and Lazers and Dagwood for spots in the show, fiddle w/ the lites, get Chemical Man and Dragon working to-gether to correctly let the computer flow, get the Stones boots to play as well as 'Romeo and Juliet', entertain Gf, etc etc etc...


People helped a lot. I knew that some would be interested in what actually the show would comprise of, but a lot was blow trying to hurridly get everything downvirgil before curtain. But, given the tenor of the nite and the accompying ampleness in artistic generosity of the crowd, I realised that I could, well, probably take a shit on stage and be applauded. Maybe. But there was room for raggedness, despite my idea that the resentation was so wierd that the only full way to get it done and appreciated was 100% seriousness and 100% nailing it.

Seriousness, maybe 85%
Nailing it, maybe 60%

Fine either way.

So, curtain, and I was forced out onto the floor. I was kinda nervous, but also I'd last minute planned - there, those sunglasses - that will allow nobody to catch my eyes. That made it a bit easier. But as the prerecorded tape rolled - well, it was a digital soundtrack, but - there I had to go out. The first bit was all running about pretending to warm up for the event - me just, y'know, warming up. Then, nervous laughter from the crowd.when it was announced exactely waht kind of competition it was.

But it went well. Again, part one was somewhat easy to do, because the first 4m were me just acting out the 'competition', and I only had to talk near the end of it during the 'interview part'. Some of it was simply smple. For instance, I made a bit of a do - stolen from 'Chariots of fire' - about finding the right stance for my feet. It allowed me to fiddle around while the soundtrack played - great for someone who was vervous about being there. And sometims it didn't work rite. A bad problem came when the replay scene didn't work. I was gonna do two replays - one in 'slow mo' that was supposed to be funny - but that area of the place was too dark after I'd shut off some of the stage lites to get a better atmosphere on the stage.

Shoulda walked it through.

Otherwise, I ran around, Lazers put the USA flag on me, I screamed out in the 'interviews', and it was over. I found that mainly staying to script was easy -except when there was no script. For the interview, for example, I had an idea of what to say - but I more or less winged it. But, it was over.

Except that I was still on stage only 1/4 done. Sheesh.

The second part was a disaster. A I stated last post on Klas, I had a multi faceted character I'd wanted to do for a long time - but got to messed up so i basically scuttled the character to make it an easier on me. Instead, the skit turned into an unrehearsed total mess, with me basically begging my three confederates in the crowd to heckle me loudly (this was pplanned, i just wanted it a lot quicker when I realised I was in trouble). So, I did a real bad-EAL BAD REAL BAD REAL BAD- cokup of that characte, Mo, Lazers, and Processed finally let it on me - "You suck, yr terrible, etc etc etc" type of thing. Then, Chem and Dra got my Mom yelling @ me and telling me I'm embarrassing her over the sound system- the second and last laugh the entire show got - and finally dagwood did his part.

Dagwood is a natural actor. Fearless. I knew he would be rite for an emergency part, so before the show started, idragooned hm ino a role where he would have to step up on stage rite after my Mom and basiclly force me off. He did well. he was perfect for it. Perfcet.

The idea of these hecklers was just a transition to the second main part of the show - the cover of the Genreal Strikes "Alleuigh" (sic). The four hecklers got me off stage so I could change into the prists outfit behind the 'green screen'. So, Dagwood stepped up on stage, berated me, pointed to an apperatus near the back f the stage, and told me to really entertain the crowd on stage. The I hid behind that screen while I changed.

I wrote about "Romeo and Juilet" in the last Klas post. It's deeply bombastic orchastrel piece from 100ya by pokrief (sic). I only know ot throught the Smiths. But it worked well. Although it was only a costume change, the 2m of me behnd the green screen was kinda kool. I hadn't intedned it, but some people came out w/ a :IS he really? Hah, can't be...". Was never in the works, but it was a good throught.

The, "alleuigh". Rite when the bombastic ending of pokrief hits, Darwood dropped the curtin and I walked out as a (Not THE priest, I hope you will notice. He'll make a return) priest an did te General strikes song. It went well. we had actually practced it maybe 5 x total, so we knew what we had. There were a couple missed beats etc, but it went well. What i'd wanted to really do w/ this song -besides having an easy ender to the program - was to get people to sing along. It's easy to do -just sing "alleliugh" to the beat. I knew some people sang it w/ our encouragement, but I couldn't really tell as I was on stage.

It was done - my part. Gf had to buy smokes and eat something, so I imed disapearred for 45m. I think people dug it enough. Not a major piece of work, it was just fun to fuck aroud on stage. Bit of my personality. Light to the gentiles - no, wait, that's Bloom. Lets see if I'm invited back.

The rest of the show was great. Lots of people showed, which I liked. Dagwood had the geat show of art hanging up in a display room - the people who set everything up should be commended. Everyone dug the music. The outside was kool to hang. Bers were ok. And other.

Bully Pulpit played, and even Rocky was happy enough w/ how they played. I think they were good- as did Gf, who I seconded her saying that it was their best show. It did lose a bit near the end - the beginning was better than the ending -but it was solid. Drummero was great, and coda'd their set w/ a 2m drum solo ending. We cheered. Also, loved the reprise of 'the Wall'. First seen by me when these dudes - who I didn't know back then - played it @ the old Avalon in 199.....what year?........oh, yes, Madonna....1991. Not a complete cover of the entire LP, they get most of it w/ a couple of their own suprises thrown in. The Wall's pretty good, as was their take. 2025 next time, I guess. And there was a small section devoted to cover songs. "Hot for Teacher" is still going through my mind.

Stayed LATE. GF left a bit early, and I was one of last out.

No comments: