04 October, 2009

hunnish wreck

Two driving stories from years back or so

I remember going to an interview @ some real heavy school - as in 'do i really want to take this job?' several years ago in the summer. Driving I refused the jam @ the intersection of of 67th and Kedzie by swinging to starboard into the alley to sail east for a block before rejoining a proper street (67th). But before that 1/2 block of alley was finished, I spotted a dude w. a running hose doing some work or other in the alley. Thirsty me stopped the car, got out, and indicated (by hand signals since the music was blaring) if it was ok for me to take a sip (Of couse ok). As I thanked him (prob thumbs up) and got back into the Strasser (for it was the strasser), the grizzled old man suddenly turned the music lower and shouted out:

"Hey, who is this?".
I called out "The Pretenders".
He retorted "Whats her name?"
"Chrissy Hynde"
Both big smils,him back to his alley work w. a hose and me to an interview @ a school i didnt want to work @. luckinly I didnt gt the job.

Pizza pick up near 63d and Cicero pizzeria, and danm the lot was packed. Real packed. When I went back tot he Strasser w. double heavy pies, there was no ay to get out. However, two of us saw the solution: if the gangbanger in the car next to mine waited just a bit, I could back out easystyle. Again, hand signals - my finger pointed @ me w. a "me first" signal and a nod - and the banger nodded. It reminded me of something Blackie had said about visiting the State of Texas when he was a dating Tejas - certain aspects of driving there is done w. nods and waves and you go ahead forst and thn me ... type deals.

No comments: