04 May, 2009

football au printemps :Short, Sharp, and Sweet Saturday of Soccer.

Stunning and shockingly - we won the playoff game we really had to - a famous victory for us, and my greatest victory ever. Saturday, 10.30am or so, when the ref blew the whistle. ........ all that angst earlier in the season .... the Macdonalds was on me



The day started w/ me rising rite @ 6am. This day was long worrieried over by me, simply because a lot of my girls have to work on Saturdays - and here was our first game in the playoffs ... on a Saturdaymorning. We eere basically not able to field a full team - we only got 10 girls to play whereas we should have 11 - plus a few subs. One of our players went down in the second half, and we had to play w/ 9 for a bit.

But, 9am, the whistle blows, and the game is on, us playing 10 on 11. But we played well. This first round matchup was one of three games we have to pay inthe next four days. We play these games in a 'group' fashion : five groups of four teams each play this week - the five group winners and top three wild card teams advance to quaterfinals on Friday.

So, I was writing - we were playing well. Especially under the circumstances. But the other team may have been missing players as well - they are a Premier league club (meaning they play one level above us) and we expected them to take it to us. But since they weren't - we took it to them. The break occured after halftime. Our C MF - mzybe our most talented kid - ran through the middle of their defense and scored twice in four minutes. It was good to see her take off and be aggressive. When I had so much trouble w/ myself/team in late March, I felt I wasn't helping the club @ all. Now - well, I impressed several time on this girl to take and run w/ the ball if they played off her - and both goals came after she took off towards goal when they played off her. So, maybe, I do have something to contribute to the team.

And the goalie. She was so good. We have lost ties and wins four times (3 wins became ties and one tie because a loss) in the last 3m of games - the trick here would be to hold onto our 2 goal lead. The goalie made a mistake - and it was 2-1. After that, it was a series of balls kicked off the goalline by our sweeper. spectacular stops by the goalie - and a crossbar hit. This game, the skill and luck held, and we got the win and three points.

phew. Unexpected, but mightly welcome. We have to win one in the next two games to advance - but the team we play on Tuesday we have already played and beat. Todays game? Shit - we're hoping for a tie. They are one of the top clubs in the city - and this will be a hard game. But, if we can just get a tie, then we will be in command shape come Tuesday.

Worries about soccer, but also joy about soccer, and a minimun of angst. Even GF ws invited to watch a game - but she can't.

Bus back from the way North Side back to school - and immed. drive to another stadium so i can coach two more games.

After the rgeatest victory inmy coaching career - immed. two more games!! And yes, I knew what I was getting myself into.

So- to the sophmore games - the little girls - and a lot of chatting to the coaches of Nek. They are the team that i used to coach with, and are a havy influence on me. They had the game after the 9am victory described above - but I was so wrapped up in the last few minutes of our game - and the then extasy of all of us in victory - that i didn't say hello. They knew - we were all yelling and into the game from sidelines when they walked in, and they let me be. Then, after, flushed w/ excitement - I said my hellos but they let me go. They have been coaching for so long, they tknew the situation. I would see them later in the day @ the next few games.

Before we went to the soophmore game - macdonalds. We just had to party, and we doidn't want to go home just yet (and me to my next two games). So, the 10 girls who showed up were fed hamburgers and chicken things and all etc etc etc and we celebrated emsemble. Got my coca cola - with a free refill - before we left.

We had our game, then a 2 h wait for our second game. It was then that I was sitting in the stands, talking w/ the Nek coaches. Their game was one h before our second game - so I just went down and helped 'coach' from the sidelines when it started(I guess that makes four games I helped coach that day). I also watched another team play - the coach of that team is ..... kool. It's hard to be @ a soccer game and not yell from the sidelines. Seriously - almost any soccer game I have to 'coach'. The next day I'd go to my neices game inthe subarbs - and damn if I didn't tell the defense to move up. But it was enjoyable to hang, happy in the soccer world w/ the important win, able to enjoy the less pressure and pure joy of the young girls game, and hear scouting reoprts on our next opponent.

And it was :

They pass well. Stick w/ yr girl. They scored on Nek in the 33m, and then two more followed quickly. So, play tough, be on yr mark, track back, don't get frustrated, run run run, and be confident. After Saturday, we can do anything.

No comments: