14 May, 2009

football au printemps:Song is Over/Disabusement

And it all ends today. I think - field is still not 100% accounted for ( Marquette Turf, where we played our first game on St. Patricks Day, a life time ago). But instead of winning all sorts of glory - my glorious plans for world domination spotlighted me as a purely rookie coach who fell short oin most categories.


My first year, not my 100th, as I smugly though very few months ago. And the events of 26 March burned into me. But now I know much better.

So, did we win our conference and get promoted into the Premier Leage for next year? Not close. We finished sixth - same as last year - and the game today is a must win 'promotion/relagtion' game. If we lose, instead of being in the top flite - as I so grandiously thought - we now have to fight to stay in the second level.

Did we advance @ least to the semifinals inthe city Playoffs?? Not close. Although that glorious win the the opening day unexpectadly put us in a great position to actually @ least get into the final 8 - that anemic tie on the tuesday against a team we had already beat 3-1 meant an end to the playoffs and no advancement.

Did we win the region in Satate playoffs? Didn;t even qualify for them. We - someone - were supposed to officially petiton the state peoople to qualify us for the tournement - and since we got to it too late, and all sorts of heroic Ney like rearguard actions could not get us in.. So, we not only didn't meet our goal - we didn't even get a chance to try it.

So - a first year, many mistakes - but a deeply loved last 4m. I like that I'm trying to get this shit done - and the bloodlettin gof this year means Ill be more ready next year. So time and spirit consuming - again, you parents, there must be an invisible sun involved someehere - but a deeply loved experience.

It's fun to try and make up and lead a group of people forward. I love when a question comes up and an executive decision is to be made and 40 pairs of eye turn to the old guy to see what he'll decide. It's fun to try new combos or tell a kid "This is how you are most valuable to us - please try it this way - for us". It's fun to hobknob w/ the other coachs, and when these vets seek you out for your ideas. It's fun just to play w/ the kids. It's just fun to be around them. I love it, and although some of me has finally been dragged down like a wildebeast by a Lion of Exhaustion finally - I really wish our season could last 5000 more games.

But next year - the new group will be loking to be for the way forward, and this year has really taught me. Funny - my ego insisted that it would be ME teaching everyone else. But - it will just make us a stronger unit next year - and me a better leader.

And today it ends - except for the pizza partiesand cookouts and etc etc etc

No comments: