14 May, 2009

Mothers Helper

I'm a bit of a wackjob bigtime - people who know me for decades whatever - but if new people only knew ....

The Joker was saying, some 3AM viewing of a Sopranos DVD after a nite out - about how wierd silver sideburns guy is. Joker (who knows me well)pointed out how strange the gangster is - "Look, he sleeps on a kot ina some sorta bioler room or something" I laughed because - as many know - I actually sleep on a matress thrown on the ground in the laundry room in my house. Oh, I have a room, but it's pretty stuffed rotton w/ books and LPs and keepsakes and goals and videotapes of Man City taking on Sunderland from 1999 or whatever. But - like Silversides - I sleep ona kot in the basement.

Until the last week. Now, suddenly, I have to sleep upstairs in my Aunt Marions old room bacuuse Mom needs the help in the night. Since she only has an arm to balance herself, she needs the assurance of someone nearby steadying herself. SO, about 2am and 6am Im woken up to her calling out to me. Again, parents, I dunno how and invisible sun and all that.

I also have taken off a few days of work. Four, so far. Two days I just had to stay @ home to help her - but the other two days were more lazyness on my part - the year has come close to beating me down. Since it's so near the end of the school year, I've really started to slacken. The trick is that the kids - four of them - are now in the universityyears mandated 'summerfree' zone - esp. since the economy sux and they lost their summer jobs and really ware off - that they take the 'day duty' w/ their gramma. All Im asking them is to stop by for 1h, let out bolo, talk for a bit, help her move about, then go back to whatever. Since there are 4 of them I'm expecting two of them come @ seperate times a day - one h each, every other day- et aidez. Our Roma girl has always been the most spectacularly mature, but she has been to too mnay eateries and Springstine concerts - the main loadcarrier has been Nephew.2. Nice to see him taking on the duties of adulthood.

But my Mom has been shaken. She's now 88, and having to have so much help has been very hard onher. It's been hard to have all her kids grow up and Dad is gone and her bros and sisters mainly are gone and even the two kids who still live @ home - me and Sister.4 - are always @ work (or soccer and jenke). She has shown real signs of depression, and it's a bit of a worry fro me. Again, I race around tilting after all matter of windmills wasting my mind and time and here she is, needing me. Really needing me. I wish my pace of maturity owuld be on the same pace as Nephew.2's as of late.

Wish, or just do.

1 comment:

Baywatch said...

she should be happy you're finally out of the basement.