15 February, 2010

War

Been watching way too many movies lately - but a great one was Che. it was one of the movies on The Lists Ive been following. fascinating. great to learn about the historical figure. Well done movies. Hi recommends from me to you.

But wait - another good recommends, again from me to you, this time in the form of a book. Ive been Krakauer'd again -Jon Krakauer, 'aught is, author of Where Men Win Glory/ the Odyssey of Pat Tilman. He was also author of Into the Wild and Into Thin Air, both books -deadly books - which struck the hell out of me. Not into the wilds of Alsaka nor the summit of Everst: now death is willingly walked into in a war zone by an exNFL player. When I heard Tillman enlisted way back when, ithought what a fuck up! The book really paints him into an interesting human being. He knew by the end that he had made a mistake in enlisting but carried through. Funny - when he was gonna enlist and his family were trying to get him not to, his Mom (i think) exploded w. a "You can't possibly trust Bush can you?". Another touching part was Tillmans reaction to the regular army reqruits - he is totally disgusted by the bottom of the barrel quality of our fighting forces. Not a happy thought.

So both Che and Tillman got me thinking - I read so much on war and all, but i'm rarely following the fucking wars that are happening rite now. So, the impulse is is to try and follw what is going on ina day to day basis. Basically, I should know whats going on as well a, say, Guadacanal. I should. So I'm gonna start.

No comments: